Higher idle problem this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higher idle problem this morning

Mines did that all the time, especially when it was Baltic outside. Wait till you've finished your shift and see it it does it on the way home. Could be that the regen wasn't totally complete.

This might explain it better...

Insignia 2009-Onwards ? Engines A20DT/C/H/J/L/R

Increased idle speed

Customer complains of an increased idle speed up to 1150 rpm.

Increased idle speed signal is managed by the engine ECU but based on a signal coming from the BCM

(Body Control Module).

If the state of charge (SOC) for the battery is too low the BCM urges the engine ECU to increase idle

speed in order reload the battery in a proper way. There are three possible idle speed steps going from:

-- step 1 (= 925 rpm) to

-- step 2 (= 1000 rpm-1050 rpm) and

-- step 3 (= 1100 rpm-1150 rpm)

The step is dependent on the SOC as well as the outside temperature, which also affects the SOC.

Other possible reasons for increased idle speed also managed by the engine ECU based on a BCM

request:

a.) During auxiliary heater on the idle speed will be set to step 2.

b.) During HVAC operation the idle speed will be set to step1-3 based on the thermal load.

c.) During DPF regeneration mode the idle speed will be set to step1-3 based on the engine

requirements.

In case of customer complaint please explain this technical content to the customer.
    Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

If the state of charge (SOC) for the battery is too low the BCM urges the engine ECU to increase idle

Little advice: when idle speed is increased turn down the heater to 18 and idle speed after a second will drop to normal 850. And than you can turn your heater back to higher degree of celsius. Idle speed will stay normal until you touch accelerator pedal again

Comment

when is cold, my car does always the same. when i start the engine in the morning, it stays between 900 and 950. once i rev it, it goes up to 1100 but it drops when the engine is hot, or better said when the temp gauge gets to 80-90 .

mine bounces as well, and you can feel a judder in the engine, almoust like a missfire, but it could be the flywheel (which is changed tomorrow)

Comment

Masterjee, on 05 January 2015 - 08:42 PM, said:
          2.0 CDTi - 2009 Insignia

I've had this recently! Whilst going to work in recent weeks - a 5 mile around town trip, my revs on idle goes to just over 1000 - just as I'm getting to the end of my journey it settles back to the normal 850ish. Does this indicate as 'normal' or that the battery is on it's way out?

My average mpg seems low too - when used on these short trips I got around 35mpg - a motorway trip a couple of days ago I got 47mpg.

Again is this normal?

Cold weather will effect the diesel engine more than petrols. No "choke" as such, they just bolock more fuel in, I believe.

In the recent cold snap i've dropped from returning 55mpg over a tank, to about 50mpg.

In summer this seemed to peak higher at about 57mpg (62 on dash).

Comment

I do about 150 miles a day commuting, at about 80% mway driving on cruise control at 70 mph. Tyres at 38psi.

Then weekend stuff knocking about town etc. Just under a tank a week.

I am completely anal about the mpg return on my car and keep geek sheets which are completed every tankful. Check tyre pressures every fill up etc.

Comment

I know its been 4 years since your post . I bought an insignia and its behaving just the way you described. I switch off the heater completely and it drops to normal revs. Is there any way to fix this problem for good? As I find this so annoying when engine revs by itself just because I have heater on. is this normal? tried putting new battery, nothing changed.

Comment

As the text already explains, this is normal. So no fix possible as it’s not a problem of the car.

Comment

Look at post number 2 by 0011728 explains it all.
                  Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X