Hire Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hire Cars

Is there anyone on here that understands the world of booking a hire car abroad, specifically the US?

Flying into San Francisco in Sept to go to a family wedding near Lake Tahoe, few days elsewhere by Lake Tahoe then a few days in San Fran before flying home. Travelling with the brother in law and his family so 6 of us in total of which one is my daughter who will be nearly 2 and my niece who will be 9. Planning on getting one of the big 4x4s that seat up to 7 or 8 (or if i really have to a "minivan" but trying to avoid that) but having done some searches on the various company sites direct then comparison sites i'm a bit lost in what i need in terms of all the add ons such as collision damage waiver etc. Speaking to the father in law he has recommended getting separate insurance which brings the cost down a lot so probably do that but again not sure where that leaves me what i need to be including with the booking then not getting talked into getting at the desk when i pick it up.

Currently found a deal with Dollar via a comparison site for a GMC Yukon or similar which basically means that or a Nissan Pathfinder\Ford Expidition by the looks of it which should be plenty big enough. The deal includes :-

Third Party Liability - Third Party Liability
    Airport Surcharge - Airport Surcharge
    Collision Damage Waiver - CDW
    24 hour assistance - Assistance
    Theft Protection - TP
    Unlimited Mileage - Unlimited Miles/Km
    Fair Fuel Policy - Fuel Policy

I'll need to pay extra for a seat for our 2 year old but not going to bother with Sat Nav etc as we'll use a phone or failing that do it old school with a map as we managed to do that fine when we were in Boston a few years ago.

hired one a few years ago now,2010 I think it was,in the USA, we originally hired a big Toyota,as we needed 8 seats,but on reaching the airport there wasn't one available. we were upgraded foc to a ford Econoline mini bus,with 12 seats,with a huge V10 engine. cant remember the costs involved now,but it wasn't extortionate,,and we had no incidents or damage caused to the van,so everything was tickety boo..as some of the small print in some rental agreements can be scary,if you have a bump,or damage is caused to it
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Working...
    X