Using Google maps on android auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Google maps on android auto

If my googe maps on my phone give me road speed why when I connect to android auto it doesn't or am I doing something wrong, I'm using an old galaxy s5 downloaded and installed android auto went into my maps , the only thing I did find that without prompting I rang a number from my contacts list twice
    Any help would be grand

Quick google suggests you are not alone in this :-

Seems for whatever reason speed limits dont show on Android Auto despite showing on the phone. Sounds like something they need to change in an update. You could try using Waze which i think will show them or at least it did when i used it for a bit on Apple CarPlay. For what its worth i use Apple Maps via CarPlay and that shows them but only when you have navigation running to a location, if you just have Maps showing but no route set then it doesnt show them...no idea why!!

Comment

Dont I need a iPhone for apple carplay

Comment

Originally posted by Ianbristol View Post
        Dont I need a iPhone for apple carplay
        Yes you do. They just mirror the phone so Android auto mirrors Android phones and car play Apple ones

Comment

Originally posted by jmagee View Post
          Yes you do. They just mirror the phone so Android auto mirrors Android phones and car play Apple ones
          Not a true mirror of either phone. The apps behave slightly different when connected to AA or CP.

Yes Waze shows speed. Google maps will show speed cameras on AA now. All gonna change after next update, complete new design.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
          Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

When the next update and how would that affect my unit ?
            I thought about getting Plasma to work his magic

Comment

Originally posted by Ianbristol View Post
              When the next update and how would that affect my unit ?
              I thought about getting Plasma to work his magic
              Don't think Plasma can change AA.

Videos on you tube for updated version of AA.

Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

I thought I have seen a post saying he can use the built in maps to display the road speed limit without having to use the front mounted camera which mine hasn't got anyway, plus I want him to activate the reversing feature

Comment

Yeah I suppose. But you could always just set dash on speed .

My front dashcam does all the fancy stuff, cameras, speed limits, lane departure, collision alert etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                    Don't think Plasma can change AA.

Videos on you tube for updated version of AA.
                    AA and Carplay runs from your phone so updates of that only happen on the phone. The cars have software to be able to display AA\CarPlay but thats all. For speed limits to show in Google Maps on Android Auto it will probably need Google to update the app to do it more than anything else. Seems they did have it for a while but then it was taken out again. Google could update the app at any time to turn it back on although i've no idea why they wouldnt have it on unless its a bug.....Waze does it and Google own Waze!!

Comment

Originally posted by bransoj View Post
                      AA and Carplay runs from your phone so updates of that only happen on the phone. The cars have software to be able to display AA\CarPlay but thats all. For speed limits to show in Google Maps on Android Auto it will probably need Google to update the app to do it more than anything else. Seems they did have it for a while but then it was taken out again. Google could update the app at any time to turn it back on although i've no idea why they wouldnt have it on unless its a bug.....Waze does it and Google own Waze!!
                      Think that's the point, have everything in one app would make other app pointless.

Comment

Think that's the point, have everything in one app would make other app pointless.
                        Not really as they work in different ways to be honest so two distinct apps in their own right, Waze is very much crowd sourced data with users flagging up issues on the road as they drive such as roadworks, congestion, police on the road etc whereas Google Maps is just a sat nav application. I doubt folk would switch from Waze to Google Maps just because Google Maps now showed speed limits.

Comment

Yeah I suppose. But you could always just set dash on speed .

My front dashcam does all the fancy stuff, cameras, speed limits, lane departure, collision alert etc etc.
                          What cam are you using bud

Comment

The RAC 05 GPS Dash Cam offers great visual quality and additional safety features – but the Windows viewing software is flaky.

Had it since it first came out. Still works perfectly, granted battery doesn't last as long as when new. Quality is suberb. Every now and again have to connect to laptop to update software and camera database. Crashes about three times a year, but always on starting, it auto recovers, no user input required. Can set screen to off, always on, speed camera only.

All the fance stuff gives you warnings, they all work once you set it up and calibrate to your car etc.

Sometimes the beeping in city traffic when the car in front pulls away gets annoying. Never tried collision warning, lane departure works, and low light works but pointless with the Insignia auto lights. I have never had an issue with the proof cam software, but if just video you want to watch vlc plays them perfectly. Has never failed to record once. It was £150 when I got it, pricey but still going strong.

My rear cam is a £20 WiFi HD cam from amazon, again really good quality but no extras and a pain to connect to.

Comment

currently using a Next Base 512gw, its a dedicated dash cam only , does not come with all the extras

Dash cams should be made law in my opinion

I have a really bad driver on cam on the way to man airport, not sure how i would upload it though
                              Last edited by the gas man; 20-07-2019, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X