Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to open headlight

Hi all,

I have a problem with AFL headlight on my pre-face where LEDs stopped working due to water inside... I have changed ballast but still, have the same issues with LEDs. I have a friend who is an electronic freak and can fix almost anything, but we can not open a headlight to get the electronic board thing from it.

I wonder did anyone have success in opening headlights - removing the front glass from it.

Thanks in advance!

I have looking into this myself and never actually got round to doing it.

The correct way to do it is to bake the headlight in the oven to loosen the seal and then prise them open. You can also use a heat gun to do this but it looks very hard to do either way.

A quicker way to do it but not as neat is to use a dremmel and cut the lights open.

You will need to make sure either way they are sealed back up tight to stop any more water getting in.

Look on YouTube as there are plenty of videos on it for both examples above .
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pondy81 View Post
      I have looking into this myself and never actually got round to doing it.

The correct way to do it is to bake the headlight in the oven to loosen the seal and then prise them open. You can also use a heat gun to do this but it looks very hard to do either way.

A quicker way to do it but not as neat is to use a dremmel and cut the lights open.

You will need to make sure either way they are sealed back up tight to stop any more water getting in.

Look on YouTube as there are plenty of videos on it for both examples above .

I have tried with a heat gun... but no success... sealant is there in huge amount, from inside and on the outside, hard to explain... Heat gun did not help..

I am worried a bit about oven baking because there are moving parts and electronics inside.

I have seen youtube videos but they recommend to remove all electronics before baking...

If I find a replacement headlight I will try to bake this one and see what happens.

Thanks for your answer

Comment

No worries and good luck.

Can’t see how they say you need to remove all electronics as most headlights have it all inside and you need to open to get to them ha.
        sigpic

Comment

Probs easier to get another headlight from a breaker,,the pre face afl lights,the circuit board is in one of the lowest points in the light,so if theres any water ingress,it gets it straight away
          ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Working...
          X