No announcement yet.

Opening Car When The Battery Is Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have you tried AA or RAC As they usually have tricks and no doubt they come up against this problem often.

Comment

I knew the trick on how to supply the power to the car through the starter motor or alternator but I can't remember now.
      Google about it m8
      But this has to be done from underneath of course

Comment

Yep I'm sure there's a YouTube video cos someone had the same cunumdrum on another forum

.K.M.P.C.U
        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Do you have a tow bar? In that case you might have a 12v line directly to the battery. If you supply 12v here you should be able to open de door using the key. But only if they’ve wired this constant 12v line. You

Comment

seanb did you manage to get bonnet open?

Comment

I've just ran into this problem with my Insignia and found a solution, registered on this forum because it was the first google result so I wanted to let others know that it can be solved without breaking any windows

So my Insignia was in the service for quite a long time due to some big issues with the engine, in the meantime I got myself another car which became my daily driver and I haven't driven the Insignia after I got it back for quite some time. Naturally, the battery being old, it died in this time. It is very weird that the key does not work to unlock the car in this scenario, but hey, this is the smallest of the issues with this car...

I got in touch with a friend who is an auto electrician and he explained the solution to me. You need a "donor" car for electricity and a set of jumper cables.

First you need to remove the plastic cover under the left front headlight (the one that covers the spot where the foglights would fit in).

Over there you'll find a black relay box that you can remove through the opening. Remove it's cover and you will see three relays, like in this picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 15.32.09.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	246766

Remove the one over the red socket (left one in the picture):

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 15.37.42.jpg
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	246767

Find a metal pin or a thick cable to insert into socket no. 2:

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 15.38.25.jpg
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	246768

Connect the jumper cables to the donor car, the negative to the chassis of the Insignia and the positive to the pin that goes into the relay:

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 15.40.01.jpg
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	246769

Make sure the metallic surface you connect the negative jumper cable to is relatively clean, as the underside will be dirty/rusty so the contact will not be proper.

Once this is done you should be able to insert the key into the driver's side door and unlock it.

Comment

You going to join this forum then? Why not give it a go? pop along to reception at the New Members section

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
                  You going to join this forum then? Why not give it a go? pop along to reception at the New Members section
                  Thanks Drew, but for me it's the end of the road with the Insignia, I switched to a different brand and posted this one for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by flipu2k View Post
                    Thanks Drew, but for me it's the end of the road with the Insignia, I switched to a different brand and posted this one for sale.
                    No problems, thanks for this, happy motoring!

Comment

Here it is mate, not sure how to share the link so best I can do is write on here

Comment

Working...
                      X