No announcement yet.

New 4D Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just been reading this so I've copied and pasted.

The number plates on a vehicle must:

be made from a reflective material
    display black characters on a white background (front plate)
    display black characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
    not have a background pattern
    Characters must be 79mm tall
    Characters (except the number 1 or letter I) must be 50mm wide
    The character stroke (the thickness of the black print) must be 14mm
    The space between characters must be 11mm
    The space between the age identifier and the random letters must be 33mm
    The margins at the top, bottom and side of the plate must be 11mm
    Vertical space between the age identifier and the random letters must be 19mm

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
      The space between the age identifier and the random letters must be 33mm
      Vertical space between the age identifier and the random letters must be 19mm
      I'm sure that the first quoted item should be for the location characters, and the second for the random characters (and be horizontal, not vertical}
      2018 1.5T SRi Nav
      Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
        I'm sure that the first quoted item should be for the location characters, and the second for the random characters (and be horizontal, not vertical}
        I copied and pasted it....I never wrote the text.

I only posted it as these no mention of having to put the makers name on the plates put the makers
        Last edited by RBH; 04-08-2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Fair enough. However, the BS says something different:

The British Standard
          All number plates must conform with the British Standard. By law, each number plate must be marked with the following information:
          The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
          The name or trade mark of the manufacturer or component supplier (Ours reads JEPSON)
          Name and postcode of the supplying outlet. That’s your company trading name and postcode, which must match the address registered with the Register of Number Plate Suppliers at DVLA
          (Source: jepsonandco.com)

I hadn't realised that there was this requirement until now - just shows how educational this forum can be
          2018 1.5T SRi Nav
          Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Yeah I wasn't being a killjoy when I originally pointed it out. I was just giving a heads up when I saw there wasn't a makers name. I find it a stupid rule TBH. I think its to help stop cloning but we live in the age of the internet. You can get plates from anywhere.
            2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

am not keen on these, won't be fitting any but I have been told these are illegal,... can't see why as they do seem to meet all the criteria,.. the only plates I have seen a lot which are illegal are the tinted ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewy1971 View Post
                am not keen on these, won't be fitting any but I have been told these are illegal,... can't see why as they do seem to meet all the criteria,.. the only plates I have seen a lot which are illegal are the tinted ones.
                Until I checked the BS I was unaware that plates needed a makers identification, as Marko said presumably to prevent cloning, and also to ensure consisting in design. So all those plates where the owner has had their name printed in small lettering at the bottom are also illegal.
                2018 1.5T SRi Nav

Comment

Sorry, I'm getting old, am I repeating myself?
                  2018 1.5T SRi Nav

Comment

Be careful of the police as well illegal plates carry £100 fine.
                    I got stopped about 2 years ago in my last car and they had a word as my plates didn’t have manufacture postcode and bs markings.
                    I apologised and said I wasn’t aware and I’d get them changed which I did and 2 weeks later the same officer pulled up in front of the car as I was parking at the supermarket had a look and gave me a thumbs up and went on his way.

Comment

I was told today while getting my plates made that they're sending out fines now without even stopping you. They do it all through their ANPR cameras. They're looking for spacing, none reflective and missing makers name.

Big brother is watching
                      2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

And yet I see the same cars day in day out driving around with totally illegal plates---one car in our local asda has had the same illegal plates on for years????-----Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
                          And yet I see the same cars day in day out driving around with totally illegal plates---one car in our local asda has had the same illegal plates on for years????-----Dave
                          Agreed Dave.....plates half the required size, different styles of font,
                          Letters moved to make names, letters/numbers altered to look like something else........and all get away Scot free

Comment

Working...
                          X