Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whining noise and clonks..

Hi all,

Greetings from Germany, I have an Opel Insignia, BiTurbo, 2015 and have a big problem...

My Insi has only done about 55K Miles, and for the last 600 miles has had a strange whining sound from 20 mph to full wack. At first I though it was maybe the winter tyres, but even after fitting the summer tyres, it made no difference. Then I thought maybe the brake discs were perhaps warped.. also a false alarm,
    Through corners it has an almost circular clonk and when on the motorway at 90 mph+, when braking, the whole car vibrates and pulls to the left.
    Also, there is a chirpy, intermittent squeal at varying speeds.

Unfortunately, all of the Opel dealers here in Bremen assume that you have absolutely no idea about cars and basically take the pi@#. I’ve been to 4 different garages (non Opel too) and all keep saying that yes, there is something wrong, but they can’t localise it!

Given the fact that the tyres all wear evenly, and the steering struts are all as they should be and have no play in them, I’m stumped what it could be. Apart from the wheel bearing, does anyone have an idea what else could be wrong?

Grüße
    Chris

P.S. I know this is a Vauxhall forum, but the 2015 Insi was designed and developed by Opel in Rüsselheim
    Opel Insignia BiTurbo, 2015, Fully Loaded:DD

check your driveshafts
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

That‘s what I was thinking too. Sounds like the CV joint is maybe up the duff. Can you change them like you used to be able to years ago, without have to replace the whole drive shaft?

Comment

think you can,i had one fail on my old biturbo,but just changed the shaft,,had the same symptoms as you with the slight pulling to one side,,,then it failed altogether with really bad vibration
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

I went to Opel this afternoon, and they reckoned you‘d have to change both sides - about 3K€! Told them where to stick it
          Will try and find an independent garage and see what they say..

Comment

that's bullshit ,why change a pair if only one is faulty .. I bought mine for less than 100 pounds,,the short shaft,and did it myself,,easy diy job

Comment

As far as I remember the drive shaft on the Biturbo is only shared with the 2.8t, so they are hard to come by second hand - in IRL anyway where you could count the number of 2.8's on one hand. True - Opel quoted me over €600 plus vat each for the drive shaft only. CV joint alone was over €400. I bought 2 cheap on ebay. Details on some post elsewhere here. Worked out ok.

Comment

Working...
              X