Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconvenient discovery

Hi everyone.

Picked up an Insignia recently as a project car, needs some mechanical work and other bits here and there but nothing I’m not confident in sorting myself, or so I thought.

Had the battery out so I could access the wiring mess that was left under it, and to access the clutch bleed valve to sort the air lock that seemed to be in the system. The battery tray was rocking around as it hadn’t been bolted down, and I didn’t have any bolts for it to hand so I locked the car up manually on each door and closed the bonnet for the night.

Come today, I buy new bolts to hold the battery tray in place and sort a few other missing bolts / clamps out and am looking forward to fitting them. Try to open the drivers door with the key and it won’t turn in the barrel at all, doesn’t feel seized, just feels like it’s completely the wrong key for the lock. Tried to free it up with penetrating fluid and nothing, just won’t turn it at all, so now I’m locked out the vehicle and can’t open the bonnet to connect the battery back. Key works fine in the ignition, however.

I’ve seen a few complete ECU’s with BCM, key, ignition barrel and door lock assemblies on eBay, and was thinking of purchasing one for when I can get into the vehicle or under the bonnet somehow so I know I have a key that matches everything including the door, and can get another key made for it that will work with everything.

So I have a few questions regarding this:

Is it possible to open the bonnet without access to inside the vehicle, maybe from under the bumper anywhere?

And if I were to replace the ECU and BCM modules, would this affect the mileage of the vehicle or is that stored in the clock cluster on the Insignia? And would there be a way to correct the mileage if it were to cause a discrepancy?

Thanks in advance guys.

You can use your jumper pack onto the starter cable and get power to allow the car to open via the remote.
    The door may have been changed at some point or the lock is seized.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wullie View Post
      You can use your jumper pack onto the starter cable and get power to allow the car to open via the remote.
      The door may have been changed at some point or the lock is seized.
      I can’t open the bonnet to access any of the wires, that’s the thing. All doors are locked and bonnet is shut [emoji53]

Comment

The only way would be to jack the car up , use axel stands to support .remove undertray.and see if you can access bonnet latch that way , or try to remove grill , but that may require breaking it .what about the hatch/boot door ? Did you lock that as well manually ?
        It maybe because the key barrel is sized or full of crud due to not being used .
        Have you got AA or RAC cover ?
        If you were to go down the replacement barrel / door lock route then it may require coding
        But dose not affect mileage
        And if it did it would not be able to be rolled back
        Or else there would be a lot of unscrupulous peeps doing it .

.K.M.P.C.U
        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Just a quick update; auto locksmith came out, it turns out the key I have that works in the ignition is the correct key for the door too, but it was totally seized solid. Took him a while but it’s all working and I’m back in the vehicle.

Comment

Think there is lessen to be learned as very few of us use the key in door it would be wise to use it every 6 month with some wd40 or the like to reduce the chance off this happening.

Comment

As said above because if ever the battery goes flat in the remote at least knowing the key fits and works in the door you have a way to enter the car . and start it .

.K.M.P.C.U
              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Working...
              X