A question about cars towing trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about cars towing trailers

Hello everyone, as per title , I was involved in an incident yesterday whereby my wife's car was slightly side swiped by a car towing a boat.
    He failed to adhere to the lane rules on a roundabout and decided his whole outfit looked better in the other lane without looking .anyhow as he crossed lanes his boat pushed the N/S door mirror in ( a paint scrape) and some superficial scrapes to the bumper/ plastic wheel arch ( it's a nissan qashqai) so it's got a lot of black plastic in that area .
    He failed to stop ! but police informed and statements given to them and my insurance company.so he has 24 hours to report incident to them or they will be going to his house to have a word .
    But I'm digressing.my question is when someone is pulling a trailer / caravan / boat .
    Dose that item have to be insured for use on a public road as we all have to do with our own cars ? .
    Just in case they do damage?
    Or not ?
    For what it's worth for the little amount of damage to the car , by the time I take into account paying the excess , my no claims loss and the hassle involved it's not worth it
    But in my mind I did the right thing informing everyone so there's no comeback on me .
    Any answers would be welcome
    Many thanks in advance.

.K.M.P.C.U
    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

A boat, caravan, trailer etc has to have insurance as well as the vehicle towing it.
    I've towed for a number of years and I've had to notify my insurance annually that I use the car for towing.

Comment

With regards to your excess, if the other party was wholly to blame then your insurance company should be able to reclaim the excess from them.
      2018 1.5T SRi Nav
      Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
        A boat, caravan, trailer etc has to have insurance as well as the vehicle towing it.
        I've towed for a number of years and I've had to notify my insurance annually that I use the car for towing.
        When we had our caravan never needed insurance and I was made aware by my car insurance company they would cover in event of accident just had tell them I will be towing ect. It makes sense to have insurance if you have expensive bit of kit but ours was under 2K so never bothered in all honesty, quite interested where it says you need to insure it?

Comment

Originally posted by ade555 View Post
          When we had our caravan never needed insurance and I was made aware by my car insurance company they would cover in event of accident just had tell them I will be towing ect. It makes sense to have insurance if you have expensive bit of kit but ours was under 2K so never bothered in all honesty, quite interested where it says you need to insure it?
          By law you don't have to buy caravan insurance, but without it you won't be protected from theft or damage. To tow a caravan with a car, car insurance is enough by law on the road. ... But just having car insurance only gives you third party cover – which means there's no cover for your caravan if it's damaged or stolen.

Comment

You need Caravan insurance to camp on commercial sites, at least public liability.

Comment

My tin tent and car are both insured. Normally the van is covered third party when hitched to the car. Most insurers expect you to tell them if you tow, I do this every year, when I renew and I repeat it. The OP should be able to claim from the tow cars insurance, but being as he didn't stop, he is either not insured, or he didn't know there was contact.
              Then if you are wise, (reduces me to tires) it is best to take out comprehensive insurance to cover van when not hitched to the car.
              When you claim against the other your no claims bonus wont be effected, wasn't your fault. Sit back and let your insurance company deal with it, that's what you pay them for.
              Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X