DVD 800 Navi USB doesn’t recognise IPhone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD 800 Navi USB doesn’t recognise IPhone

G’day All, new to the site as I have just purchased my first Insignia. So far loving the way it handles and it drives superb but a little let down with the entertainment system. I have a MY09 2.0 CDTI Elite with DVD 800 Navi. I was on the understanding the Elite versions came standard with Bluetooth but unfortunately this isn’t so in my case. I’ve also just realised the DVD 800 Navi also doesn’t support iPhone connection via the USB either.
    So my question is if there is anyway to upgrade the firmware on the DVD 800 Navi so I can play Spotify etc. directly through the stereo via USB?

Yeah I recently bought a MY09 1.8 Elite in the UK - happy with the car in general as it's pretty well specc'd, but... I also thought Bluetooth was standard and learned after purchase it was optional :-( I use a plugin (cigarette lighter socker) bluetooth adapter as I couldn't get the USB to work with my Android phone... And, the headphone socket seemed temperemental too!

If you find a way to upgrade the firmware do post back on this thread as I might also consider it!

Comment

Yeah, figgy lighter option was what I’m currently thinking but would be nice to have everything integrated so can use the steering controls

Comment

You can retrofit the bluetooth module (it is a bit costly), but it's only good for calling. No streaming audio support.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernst View Post
          You can retrofit the bluetooth module (it is a bit costly), but it's only good for calling. No streaming audio support.
          That’s a bit pants then really as it’s really mainly that I wanted it for streaming music and hands free calls. I’ll keep looking and if I find a way to get this working through the 800 Navi then I’ll update here. I’m sure there must be some way to do it as I’ve read other people with the same 800 Navi can play their Spotify from their iPhones directly via usb but my usb just says Device not recognised. It’s looking pretty grim right now.

Comment

Originally posted by AussieAl View Post
            That’s a bit pants then really as it’s really mainly that I wanted it for streaming music and hands free calls. I’ll keep looking and if I find a way to get this working through the 800 Navi then I’ll update here. I’m sure there must be some way to do it as I’ve read other people with the same 800 Navi can play their Spotify from their iPhones directly via usb but my usb just says Device not recognised. It’s looking pretty grim right now.
            You can buy cheap Bluetooth audio adapters that plug directly into aux socket and support phone and music streaming. Was ok in my Astra using Windows phone, Cortana could control it, not sure if Siri or Google work as well.

Miss my Windows phone [emoji24]

But do love Android Auto [emoji12]

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
            Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Thank MattG, I think the Aux bluetooth option could be the cheap way forward. Spoke with Vauxhall today and seems to have the DVD 800 fitted with Bluetooth upgrade would cost almost as much as I’ve paid for the Siggy.
              I was hoping there would be some sort of DIY guide on updating it but I guess it’s either too expensive or too difficult for anyone to attempt. I’ll check out the usual places online to see if there are any decent Aux Bluetooth adapters that might meet what I’m after.

Comment

Have you tried a genuine apple cable? I know sometimes my cd500 doesn’t work with cheaper cables

Comment

In my pre-face Elite with the CD500 system it wouldnt pick up my iPhone via the USB unless i used a proper Apple cable or one that had the "Made for iPhone" certification on the box. I had one from B&M Bargains that did have Made for iPhone on the box that worked and then an Amazons Basics cable which lasted ages, still use it in my new GS, and allowed the phone to connect.

Through that i was able to play music stored on my phone in the normal music app which the car picked up and showed on the screen allowing me to control it from there. I was also able to use Amazon Music as well i think.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I’m not 100% sure if my lead is a genuine Apple lead or not so I will try another genuine apple lead just to rule out if the cable is dodgy. It would be great if it does work with a new lead but after the previous suggestion of getting an Aux Bluetooth adapter I have seen some pretty cool ones that would let me play music and answer calls handsfree via the infotainment system so may still go down that route if a new lead doesn’t work.
                    @PlymIan and bransoj what year models are your cars? I’ve heard people mention that iPhones work on the USB on models from 2011 above but may not be compatible with earlier models?

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I’m not 100% sure if my lead is a genuine Apple lead or not so I will try another genuine apple lead just to rule out if the cable is dodgy. It would be great if it does work with a new lead but after the previous suggestion of getting an Aux Bluetooth adapter I have seen some pretty cool ones that would let me play music and answer calls handsfree via the infotainment system so may still go down that route if a new lead doesn’t work.
                      @PlymIan and bransoj what year models are your cars? I’ve heard people mention that iPhones work on the USB on models from 2011 above but may not be compatible with earlier models?
                      Mine is a 2011 but a cd500 not dvd800. Mine does have Bluetooth and dab but don’t think that would manke much of a difference tbh

Comment

Don’t think there is much difference from what I understand between cd500 and dvd800 apart from the dvd800 firmware can display 3D maps and use DVD instead of CD. I know there is firmware upgrades for the CD500 to be upgraded to the DVD800 so 3d maps can display. My concern is I’m hearing the MY11 infotainment systems and above have an upgraded firmware that recognises phones via usb but previous firmware on the same models only recognised mp3 files from MP3 players and USB sticks

Comment

Don’t think there is much difference from what I understand between cd500 and dvd800 apart from the dvd800 firmware can display 3D maps and use DVD instead of CD. I know there is firmware upgrades for the CD500 to be upgraded to the DVD800 so 3d maps can display. My concern is I’m hearing the MY11 infotainment systems and above have an upgraded firmware that recognises phones via usb but previous firmware on the same models only recognised mp3 files from MP3 players and USB sticks
                          Oh i see. Mine only recognises my phone as an ipod. Im running firmware from i think 206/17 which was on the update disc

Comment

Originally posted by Plym Ian View Post
                            Oh i see. Mine only recognises my phone as an ipod. Im running firmware from i think 206/17 which was on the update disc
                            That’s why I was hoping I could find a way to upgrade the firmware on mine so it might recognise my iPhone as an iPod. Also I could then upgrade my maps as it’s still running maps from 2009 so when it tells me to turn left I end up running into a new housing estate that was built 5years ago thead

Comment

Mine was a 10 plate elite with the cd500 setup running the update to have 3D maps which I installed from the files from the old forum then installed a different theme.

It had Bluetooth for phone calls then the USB port recognised the phone for music which it displayed with options for artists, albums, playlists etc and could be navigated via the stereo or the jog wheel that my car had.

Comment

Working...
                              X