No announcement yet.

Can seals be removed from tail lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can seals be removed from tail lights?

Hello

I’m new to this forum but hoping someone can give me some advice please.

My partner and I bought a new tail light on eBay which looks to be the the correct one (the seller said it was), however the rubber seal doesn’t cover the entire gap when the new light is fitted at the top, therefore there is a 1-2 inch gap where water could run down straight to the electrics!

Please can you advise if it’s possible to remove the rubber seal from our old light (which got cracked which is why we are replacing it) as we don’t want to force it and break it, as it seems to be very tightly fitted to the existing unit. Maybe there’s a knack or technique we should use? We have removed the three screws.

Many thanks

Mandy
    Attached Files

Hi could you post some pics of the light you have bought, what year is your car

Comment

Hiya, I can’t see how to upload the photos as I was trying to do it from my phone earlier. Any tips?!

The car is a 61 plate (2011)

Comment

If ya using your phone download Tapatalk, very easy to do from there
        I've not owned a pre facelift before , but plenty of members here who do or have

Comment

I just managed to upload the photos - thanks!

Comment

Are they aftermarket lights ?

Comment

I don’t know what after market lights are, sorry?

Comment

Not genuine vx parts , is aftermarket

Comment

I asked if was a genuine part and he told me it was.

Comment

they lights look different to me im just new to this site aswell,but the photos where your holding them,the lights are curved in different positions,if that makes sense.

Comment

Hi Mandy I'm not saying it's aftermarket, just stating what aftermarket is, someone will be along that has or has owned o pre facelift

Comment

The light fits perfectly into the gap and connects to all of the correct fittings, it just has a longer piece of rubber seal missing if that makes sense. In the photo I probably wasn’t holding them in exactly the same position if that makes sense!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandy021171 View Post
                          The light fits perfectly into the gap and connects to all of the correct fittings, it just has a longer piece of rubber seal missing if that makes sense. In the photo I probably wasn’t holding them in exactly the same position if that makes sense!
                          i would then try to get the rubber part of the old light then,might be a pain in the ass but it could solve the problem.

Comment

Hello Mandy .
                            Here's my stupid question of the day so please bear with me .
                            The photos show an horrendous gap with new light fitted .
                            My question is , on the old lamp there seems to be an extra bit that fills the gap because you can see a line where this extra bit seems to either slid on or clip on .
                            Is that extra bit flexible ( i.e. Rubber ) ?
                            Have you tried taking that bit off the old light ?
                            Because by the photos there seems to be a channel on the new light where maybe that extra / rubber part slides on .
                            ( do you catch my drift ?.
                            If both lights look the same , and on the old one ( black part ) there should be stamp with poss "GM " stamped on it and some numbers below .
                            Dose the new one have the same stamp with the same numbers ? Or similar
                            If so then it's a genuine part , but if not then it could be aftermarket
                            But it don't explain the gap and the possibility of that extra piece .
                            I'll keep quiet now .

.K.M.P.C.U
                            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

They might be OEM lights but from a different supplier.
                              Vauxhall might use different manufacturers for the same components.

Comment

Working...
                              X