No announcement yet.

Am I being a snob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my MOT is due at the end of March so I'm getting the whole hog sorted while I'm at it.

As previously mentioned, the dad in law said he will sort everything out if I just get the gear.

I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on the correct gear that I need. I have had a look around so could you just clarify if I have it correct please? I have a 2.0 diesel BiTurbo 14 plate.

Timing belt with water pump. I'm sure I have read that Gates stuff is the best to go with? I have found this kit -

Service kit. This is a bosch kit, but any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Oil. Is this the gear I need? Again, any other suggestions would be appreciated!
    The UK's largest independent supplier of automotive oils, fluid and parts. We've products to suit any vehicle, from full blown Race / Track weapons, to Daily Drivers looking to save money. Plus FREE expert advice & recommendations - OPIE KNOW OILS

I've also had the 'service soon' message. I've checked the ODI and it says P0671-00 - Cylinder 1 Glow Plug Control Circuit. Status:Present, so I am thinking it is the a glow plug with a sensor? Currently on ebay for around the £60 mark. I am taking it into Dave before hand so he can check that it is in fact the glow plug itself or if it is the wiring loom or something along those lines.

Is there anything else anybody would suggest I do while we're at it? Fuel filter perhaps? This is her first service since I've had her so I'm happy to get a few extra bits and bobs to make sure everything is in order .

Thank you for your time everyone!

Comment

Sorry, just to add, I can see that the bosch service kit comes with a fuel filter, as does this one below. The bosch one states that it comes with a sump plug seal, where as this one on amazon comes with a cabin filter.

I'll message them on amazon to see if it does in fact come with a sump plug seal.

Comment

The only thing I can say is:
        Replace all 4 of the rollers/bearings at timing belt change. Gates kit includes all.
        Use genuine oil/diesel/air filter.
        Replace the oil sump plug seal and DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SUMP BOLT AS DEALERS DO. (which then requires a new sump plug) There's a reason why there's a rubber seal on it.
        Gates kit is as OEM. My biturbo (July '12) for some reason specs 0W40 oil.
        My '12 Biturbo has 4 pressure sensor glow plugs. The first to go was No. 1. The next was No. 2. Simple but pricey change.

Comment

Oh and be meticulous with the water pump seal. I did Timing belt myself, scared the **** out of me, but all went well after I remembered to take it out of gear to turn the engine over with a spanner on the crankshaft. School boy error.

Comment

That's great, thanks for that Buttons!

Which oil did you go for? https://www.opieoils.co.uk suggests either 0w-30 or 5w-30 for me.

Comment

I have a Grandsport well within the manufaturer's warranty, I buy all my parts from the dealer for servicing etc, but my mechanic does all the work - MUCH cheaper, so long as they are VAT registered, if you have a warranty, it will stay valid,.. otherwise, independent always for me. I trust mine. Although the dealer are not to bad here, it's crazy to think about paying theit labour rates

Comment

Originally posted by Chewy1971 View Post
                I have a Grandsport well within the manufaturer's warranty, I buy all my parts from the dealer for servicing etc, but my mechanic does all the work - MUCH cheaper, so long as they are VAT registered, if you have a warranty, it will stay valid,.. otherwise, independent always for me. I trust mine. Although the dealer are not to bad here, it's crazy to think about paying theit labour rates
                That's very true and with the money saved I can fix all the bits that do break or fall off, and if it doesn't break I'm quids in! I have never felt robbed, often think he doesnt charge enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
                  That's very true and with the money saved I can fix all the bits that do break or fall off, and if it doesn't break I'm quids in! I have never felt robbed, often think he doesnt charge enough.
                  Wish I had a mechanic like Chewy. There is one I trust more than the local ones and does a good job but he's further away and you can never get in as he's always too busy if needed straight away. Luckily I do most things myself.

Comment

I'm the same, no one gets my tools

Comment

Working...
                    X