Cam solenoid gause broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam solenoid gause broken

Hi guys, so my 2010 insignia 1.8sri has been real under power and fuel consumption been real bad, so been googling flat out and eventually found out about checking cam solenoids and came across one with broken gause at the end and both clogged up with crap, just wondering would it really make a difference with it being broken,

It will affect valve timing, so will affect performance, if you find something broke, fix It, if only to eliminate it.

Comment

Cheers bud, anything else worth checking regards to crap fuel consumption and real lack of power any help would be much appreciated

Comment

My advice would be to get a diagnostic tool plugged in & have a check for any stored codes. I did this & found a stored code relating to the MAP sensor (no EML on the dash!), replaced it & haven't had the code since.

Regarding the cam solenoids, the general advice when fitting new ones is to remove all the filters before fitting them. I did & have had no problems since.

Also, regarding your performance issues, I replaced the cam solenoids & that seemed to transform my cars performance, but I more recently replaced the spark plugs, that made a HUGE difference!

Comment

Cheers mate, am I assuming that even if I change the solenoids that I still have to plug in and clear codes if any for it to take effect? Definitely not the plugs did a head gasket and new plugs couple of months ago but will maybe take a look anyways

Comment

Originally posted by kentishbloke View Post
            My advice would be to get a diagnostic tool plugged in & have a check for any stored codes. I did this & found a stored code relating to the MAP sensor (no EML on the dash!), replaced it & haven't had the code since.

Regarding the cam solenoids, the general advice when fitting new ones is to remove all the filters before fitting them. I did & have had no problems since.

Also, regarding your performance issues, I replaced the cam solenoids & that seemed to transform my cars performance, but I more recently replaced the spark plugs, that made a HUGE difference!
            As above regarding the solenoids, general consensus is that they work better without the filters because they don't clog up as easy that way, deffo get a decent reader on it to be sure, else you might be chasing this forever [emoji4]

Comment

Cheers much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by M4RTY View Post
                Cheers mate, am I assuming that even if I change the solenoids that I still have to plug in and clear codes if any for it to take effect? Definitely not the plugs did a head gasket and new plugs couple of months ago but will maybe take a look anyways
                If you get any codes that relate to the cam solenoids then clearing them after replacing them is recommended, but if you're not replacing them and only removing all the filters, unless you get any codes you shouldn't need to clear anything, largely depends what codes you get, if any.

I only replaced my solenoids as I did get a code saying 1 was faulty & my 1.8 petrol sounded like a diesel! Simply clearing the code didn't improve the problem, but replacing the solenoids did, removed all the filters before fitting.

Comment

Just pulled the plugs this evening and they are full of oil after changing the gasket and plugs only a few months ago, recon I've maybe bigger problems than I thought, fudge!!

Comment

Originally posted by M4RTY View Post
                    Just pulled the plugs this evening and they are full of oil after changing the gasket and plugs only a few months ago, recon I've maybe bigger problems than I thought, fudge!!
                    Well, I would say sort that first. Definitely not going to help

Comment

Working...
                    X