No announcement yet.

Idle RPM judder | high fuel cons. on idle | lots of black smoke on kick-down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle RPM judder | high fuel cons. on idle | lots of black smoke on kick-down

Hey guys,

I think I have an issue and I need your help in determining it.
    First and foremost - I have OpCom and there are no codes stored about the engine at all - so I have no clue what might be wrong.

The car is '09 Hatch with 160BHP A20DTH engine.

The issue consists of the following:
    - On idle, the RPM judder with +- 100, more noticeable on P/N and not so much on D.
    - The fuel consumption at idle is higher and "strange" - it either stays at 1.3/1.4 l/h or goes from 0.9 l/h to 1.3 l/h every second.
    - If I drove the car gently for a few KM, the first time I floor it there is a GIANT (and I mean it) cloud of pure black smoke. After that - there is still smoke but not so much.

My DPF has been removed - just FYI.

Any clues? Is it possible that the high pressure fuel pump valve is to blame, as a lot of topics/videos say? But none of them mentions higher fuel cons. nor black smoke.

I have a same problem, black smoke high consumption but stil no faulty codes!!!???

Comment

Air leak on high pressure side of turbo, one reason for black smoke.

Comment

Have you tried live data on opcom there should be persific values that could be of use .

.K.M.P.C.U
        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

If you find a problem please reply me .
          Thnx cheers

Hey guys,

I think I have an issue and I need your help in determining it.
          First and foremost - I have OpCom and there are no codes stored about the engine at all - so I have no clue what might be wrong.

The car is '09 Hatch with 160BHP A20DTH engine.

The issue consists of the following:
          - On idle, the RPM judder with +- 100, more noticeable on P/N and not so much on D.
          - The fuel consumption at idle is higher and "strange" - it either stays at 1.3/1.4 l/h or goes from 0.9 l/h to 1.3 l/h every second.
          - If I drove the car gently for a few KM, the first time I floor it there is a GIANT (and I mean it) cloud of pure black smoke. After that - there is still smoke but not so much.

My DPF has been removed - just FYI.

Any clues? Is it possible that the high pressure fuel pump valve is to blame, as a lot of topics/videos say? But none of them mentions higher fuel cons. nor black smoke.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I’m assuming it’s been remapped ?

Comment

As markinuckfield says about remap .has this happened since having the DPF removed and was the DPF mapped out?
              Also if you have opcom you can do live data tests . should be looking at fuel trims long and short .

.K.M.P.C.U
              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I'd check that your air filter's not clogged and try a fuel injector cleaner additive.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Hi!

I bought the car after it has been remapped and DPF removed so I do not know how it was before that.

Bought a high pressure fuel pump valve but did not mount it yet.

I will try the cleaner during the weeknd though.

Изпратено от моят HMA-L29 с помощта на Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                    As markinuckfield says about remap .has this happened since having the DPF removed and was the DPF mapped out?
                    Also if you have opcom you can do live data tests . should be looking at fuel trims long and short .
                    I can do the test but should I record live data or?

Comment

Hello record the live data and share if you can.

.K.M.P.C.U
                      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Alright, will do a test tomorrow and share the file.

Comment

Black Smoke - is really just an imbalance in the air to fuel ratio - too much fuel to not enough air. This means either too much fuel is being added to the mix or there's not enough oxygen being supplied to burn the fuel. The black smoke is full of particulates that are basically large diesel particles that normally would be burned as fuel. Any way you look at it, a diesel car emitting black smoke is not going to be getting the optimal fuel mileage it should be getting.

Most common causes of black smoke are faulty injectors, a faulty injector pump, a bad air filter (causing not enough oxygen to be supplied), a bad EGR valve (causing the valves to clog) or even a bad turbocharger. You don't hava the DPF so the particles are not getting caught.

Your high revs at idle may be the battery state of charge. If the charge is low, the ECU runs at higher RPM to put more juice into the battery. Explained here in a Vauxhall Technical Service Bulletin:

Insignia 2009-Onwards ? Engines A20DT/C/H/J/L/R

Increased idle speed

Customer complains of an increased idle speed up to 1150 rpm.

Increased idle speed signal is managed by the engine ECU but based on a signal coming from the BCM

(Body Control Module).

If the state of charge (SOC) for the battery is too low the BCM urges the engine ECU to increase idle

speed in order reload the battery in a proper way. There are three possible idle speed steps going from:

-- step 1 (= 925 rpm) to

-- step 2 (= 1000 rpm-1050 rpm) and

-- step 3 (= 1100 rpm-1150 rpm)

The step is dependent on the SOC as well as the outside temperature, which also affects the SOC.

Other possible reasons for increased idle speed also managed by the engine ECU based on a BCM

request:

a.) During auxiliary heater on the idle speed will be set to step 2.

b.) During HVAC operation the idle speed will be set to step1-3 based on the thermal load.

c.) During DPF regeneration mode the idle speed will be set to step1-3 based on the engine

requirements.

In case of customer complaint please explain this technical content to the customer.
                          Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

I can remember that a couple of months ago you had a problem with the SVS light coming on if trying to overtake someone.
                            Did you ever got that issue solved ? .
                            Also another thing to check is when you have opcom connected just see if it detects a DPF or not , I know it's been removed but I just want to see if it was crudely , mapped out or not .

.K.M.P.C.U
                            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Yep! I solved this one with brand new vacuum lines and new BCV. I caught the BCV "moaning" one day and immediately replaced it. No issues so far.

As for the DPF - I believe it appears in OpCom but it constsntly shows 100% full or similar and -36 or something volts. Will have to check it tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X