A20 NHT water pump failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A20 NHT water pump failure?

On friday morning I was on my way to work when I noticed after 10 miles there was no heat from the vents. I thought little of it until a short distance on I noticed my temperature creeping up. I stopped the car and topped it up and it got me another 9 miles or so when the temps went back up and I got the AC off due to high temp message and also coolant low. I topped up and nursed the car to work where I left it for the day.
    After finishing work I got the AA to come and check it over.
    The AA man discounted a coolant leak (my first thought) and also head gasket failure ( he did a test for this). He said there is an air lock somewhere in the system, most likely before the thermostat so he said likely a water pump issue. The car threw up 3 codes - P000b, p0013, u0422.
    They recovered it to my local garage and dropped me home. My local garage changed the stat (going through process of elimination) and called me to say it's most likely the water pump.
    However they said they don't have the necessary tools to fix and I should have a main dealer check it over. I have AA parts warranty so hopefully this would cover the repair cost. I have to collect my car from the garage tomorrow but I'm concerned about driving it despite it being a short journey that's mostly downhill.

Is it possible that the codes are related to a timing chain issue that may have caused the pump to fail?
    Would it be safe to drive the car back home (less than 2 miles and mostly downhill) until I can get it recovered to a dealer?

Apologies for the wall of text and thanks in advance of any replies.

2009 Elite Nav 2.0T petrol.

P000B is B Camshaft Position Slow Response

P0013 is Camshaft position (CMP) actuator, exhaust/right/rear, bank 1 -circuit malfunction

U0422 is Invalid data received - body control module

The above are from troublecodes.net

Comment

Quick update - the car is being recovered to a Halfords centre (recommended by the AA) who says they have the necessary tools to fix it. Fingers crossed it's only the pump that's the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by DurhamElite View Post
        Quick update - the car is being recovered to a Halfords centre (recommended by the AA) who says they have the necessary tools to fix it. Fingers crossed it's only the pump that's the issue.
        Edit: Not a very good garage if they don't have the 'tools' to replace it. It's more like it's quite a job

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
          Edit: Not a very good garage if they don't have the 'tools' to replace it. It's more like it's quite a job
          They are mainly a service and MOT centre. I have used them many times in the past and always find them to be honest and trustworthy. The owner told me they see plenty of diesels but very rarely petrol turbo versions, this issue was actually a first for them.
          Since my previous post Halford have rang and they concur it's definitely a water pump issue. But they say 6 hours to fix, this seems excessive to me as the AA themselves said it should be a 4 hour job at most.
          Just hope either way it gets fixed as i can't get to work meantime

Comment

They are mainly a service and MOT centre. I have used them many times in the past and always find them to be honest and trustworthy. The owner told me they see plenty of diesels but very rarely petrol turbo versions, this issue was actually a first for them.
            Since my previous post Halford have rang and they concur it's definitely a water pump issue. But they say 6 hours to fix, this seems excessive to me as the AA themselves said it should be a 4 hour job at most.
            Just hope either way it gets fixed as i can't get to work meantime
            Fair enough about the garage if they don't do repairs. I was told exactly THAT what the owner told you by a garage I use, about working on plenty of diesels and never even seeing this engine before. As for the labour time, I suppose it depends what method they use as it seems quite a big job and the water pump runs off the balance shaft chain which is behind the cam chain. Definitely not straight forward, unless there is a provision to do an easy water pump change. Would also be a good idea to ask them to have a look at the condition of the chains/tensioners/guides(weakest parts in the chain setup) if they do indeed have to go that route. Hope you get it sorted, annoying having these sort of headaches

Comment

Appreciate the reply, I agree thats definitely a good idea to ask them to check the chain parts as I have a suspicion there might be other issues at play

Comment

Appreciate the reply, I agree thats definitely a good idea to ask them to check the chain parts as I have a suspicion there might be other issues at play
                No worries, hope it's sorted soon so you can carry on enjoying your motoring, I for one really hate the worry and stress that goes with these sort of issues [emoji4]

Comment

It turns out the chain (at end of balance shaft that drives water pump I think they said) has snapped. The halfords guy said I have been very lucky the loose chain didn't hit the main chain and destroy the engine. About a week before they can strip it so looks like this could be ongoing for a couple of weeks

Comment

It turns out the chain (at end of balance shaft that drives water pump I think they said) has snapped. The halfords guy said I have been very lucky the loose chain didn't hit the main chain and destroy the engine. About a week before they can strip it so looks like this could be ongoing for a couple of weeks
                    Wow, definitely incredibly lucky! Broken chains are never a good thing, probably even luckier is that it wasn't the timing chain, hence why I suggested an inspection in there anyway. Thankfully too, you didn't drive it away after the first diagnosis. Are they only changing the balance chain and will your parts warranty cover this job, as it could turn into a few hundred quid. Out of interest, what mileage is your car on?

Comment

Nevermind about the mileage, just saw on the mileage post. Actually still quite low mileage. Just shows why we should take these 'lifetime' parts with a pinch of salt....

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
                        Wow, definitely incredibly lucky! Broken chains are never a good thing, probably even luckier is that it wasn't the timing chain, hence why I suggested an inspection in there anyway. Thankfully too, you didn't drive it away after the first diagnosis. Are they only changing the balance chain and will your parts warranty cover this job, as it could turn into a few hundred quid. Out of interest, what mileage is your car on?
                        I'm not sure of the ins and outs of the AA warranty claim. They had authorised the water pump replacement as it was the AA man and garages' initial diagnosis. This I feel is likely to drive the claim way over the £500 limit on my warranty so I'm a bit worried to say the least.
                        The car sits on 68201 miles, I bought it 16 months ago and it came with FSH and judging by the receipts a previous owner that had lavished a lot of money on it.

Comment

I'm not sure of the ins and outs of the AA warranty claim. They had authorised the water pump replacement as it was the AA man and garages' initial diagnosis. This I feel is likely to drive the claim way over the £500 limit on my warranty so I'm a bit worried to say the least.
                          The car sits on 68201 miles, I bought it 16 months ago and it came with FSH and judging by the receipts a previous owner that had lavished a lot of money on it.
                          Damn, that's a bummer. I was going to ask how the service history was because obviously it's one of the most critical things when cars are chain driven but there are always chance for things to go wrong. Think I would've preferred a cambelt tbh.

Comment

Agree at least cambelt is a cheap replacement. The car had a new clutch and flywheel at 50k so I can only assume one of the previous owners had been riding the clutch a lot

Comment

Quick update on this.
                              Took some time and hassle with the garage (involving a complaint to Halfords head office ) but it's supposedly going to be ready within the next few days.
                              They have replaced the water pump, balancer chain and all it's ancillaries and apparently I have been extremely lucky not to have caused any more damage by driving the car further after the water pump went.
                              My AA warranty is covering everything except the cost of a new timing chain + labour, which will set me back £400. I'm really happy with that price as I was expecting a 4 figure repair bill.
                              After all the things it's had done it should in theory drive like a new car (I hope )

Comment

Working...
                              X