Dash cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash cam

OK my RAC dash cam has started to play up, nearly at the point I'm looking for a new one. Can't complain it's over 4 years old and quality is good. Just every now and then it not storing videos.

Little bit of searching and my price range decided on the nextbase 422 or 522. Both basically the same quality, just one has bigger screen and a filter.

Anyone here have either of these?
    Thoughts, advice welcome before I buy.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

I’m not really giving advise on those dash cams but I have a BlackVue DR750 and it’s brilliant. Great picture plus a good app too so I can view the camera on my phone should I wish. I don’t understand the need for a screen when your windscreen is doing the same job.

Comment

Originally posted by Unilateral View Post
      I’m not really giving advise on those dash cams but I have a BlackVue DR750 and it’s brilliant. Great picture plus a good app too so I can view the camera on my phone should I wish. I don’t understand the need for a screen when your windscreen is doing the same job.
      Yes looked at that range, above my price range I'm afraid. Screen not important, most decent cams now have apps to view videos on phones.

Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Yeah, I've been looking at the Nextbase 422 or 522 too, I figure that the £20 or so extra for the 522 is probably worth it, as this is the same as the additional cost of the polarising filler for the 422. (Although I've got a heated front screen, not certain if this will clash with the polarising filter?)
        The other option is the Garmin 66w, it seems to jockey with the 522 for 'best buy', see https://www.t3.com/news/best-dash-cam and https://www.confused.com/on-the-road.../best-dashcams
        The Garmin is also REALLY TINY!
        Anyone else have first hand experience of either cam?
        Last edited by PeteH; 09-10-2019, 10:53 PM.
        2018 1.5T SRi Nav
        Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

MattG I have a 522GW and can't really fault it. I only got it as it has the extras of GPS and WiFi connectivity should I wanna watch a recording on the phone. The touch screen is also a nice feature to have. I have mine mounted just below the rear view mirror but I don't have the automatic main beam camera so that might be an issue for mounting there for you :P

If you want me to grab some footage from it so you can see the quality just let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
            OK my RAC dash cam has started to play up, nearly at the point I'm looking for a new one. Can't complain it's over 4 years old and quality is good. Just every now and then it not storing videos.

Little bit of searching and my price range decided on the nextbase 422 or 522. Both basically the same quality, just one has bigger screen and a filter.

Anyone here have either of these?
            Thoughts, advice welcome before I buy.
            Omg....are you actually gonna spend some of your shekels???

Comment

I've been using my Nextbase 512GW for about 18 months now, and very happy with it so far.

Comment

That's where the RAC one fits. Iv formated the sd card to see if it corrects the problem.

It's was £150 when I got it. All singing thing, collision warning, lane departure, built in traffic cameras, low light warnings (tells you to put lights on) etc etc.

Yeah some footage would be good. If get one will prob be the 422, same quality, it has WiFi, just smaller screen and no filter.

Comment

Personally, I don't like dash cams that hang down from the windscreen. They just mess up the interior of your car.
                  I have a viofo a119, have had it 3 years and it's been perfect. Only cost about £70 and the quality is perfectly good.
                  This is what it looks like installed. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191010_143906.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	243756
                  Insignia B Sports Tourer elite nav, 2.0d 8 speed auto, led matrix headlights, VX line exterior pack, VX line interior pack, Black Siena perforated leather seat trim, 8 inch digital dash, heated leather front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, heated windscreen, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic alert, 20 inch alloys, reverse camera, auto park, power tailgate, Onstar with wifi hotspot and more![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I have a Nextbase 512GW and a 522GW. Not had any other brands so not in a position to compare. To me both work well, quality is good even at night. 512 has a couple of bugs here and there and the touch screen is bit hit and miss. I would definitely recommend the 522, in the short time I've had it it's been good. Only gripe I have with them is the internal battery is not very good, not ideal for the 'Park' setting, unless it has permanent power. The things I like best about them is the polarising filter and the fact that you have the options for rear cameras. My 522 has the rear camera that attaches to the main and saved me laying cables to the rear for the other type available which I have on my 512. There are a couple of deals around sometimes on them, even at Halfrauds. I got mine for about £130 main and rear cameras. Hope that helps

Comment

Yeah don't see wire from outside, it's been there over a year as temp , need another hardwire kit for it. The next base actually has a mount with cable connected and camera connects to that, another reason for asking if anyone had one, find out how it works and tidy it might look etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacarcher View Post
                        Personally, I don't like dash cams that hang down from the windscreen. They just mess up the interior of your car.
                        I have a viofo a119, have had it 3 years and it's been
                        Which is why I'm tempted by the Garmin, Cos it's so tiny
                        2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                        Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

I've gotta cheapo from fleabay.
                          Camera built into the interior mirror.
                          Came with reverse camera too.
                          Quality is spot on as well......£15.

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                            I've gotta cheapo from fleabay.
                            Camera built into the interior mirror.
                            Came with reverse camera too.
                            Quality is spot on as well......£15.
                            Yeah o had one of them in Astra, worked great for about a year then just stopped. I have a cheapo wifi China one on the back, it's actually decent, just a pain to connect to.

Comment

MattG Here is a few clips of different scenarios, 1st dusk - me avoiding 1 pheasant and then hitting another, nighttime clip and an evening clip with a Escalade... Unfortunately governed by youtubes compression...

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

I have my camera mounted here, as I do not have auto main beam :P
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	243761

Comment

Working...
                              X