Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bump/knock noise from the rear end.... or somewhere underneath !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bump/knock noise from the rear end.... or somewhere underneath !!

Hello, my first time on here.
    I have a 2014 estate and have this strange bump/knock noise underneath, could be the rear suspension, which happens when the car goes over small dips, hollows or holes in the road. It's a noise similar to when you drive over a cats eye and you get this "bump bump" as you do. It's not a clang which might suggest a loose exhaust.
    It only seems to do it when I'm driving slowly as at normal speed it is not apparent, Maybe the noise is being absorbed more in the general road noise.
    I've had the underside looked at by a couple of garages who can find nothing wrong. The two rear shockers were renewed by the sales garage under the three month warranty but it it still bumping.
    Any idea what it may be as it's one of those annoying noises that you really do want to find. It is still within the three month warranty so I could take it back with some genuine suggestions to help them.
    Thanks.

Hi

Could it be something loose in the spare wheel well?
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Side lockers too.

Comment

No, empty boot, still does it.

Comment

Sorry but what's a side locker?

Comment

Rear anti roll bar bushes? I have had them knock despite looking OK

Comment

As suggested by Redlands , anti role bar bushes .
              Truble is with thease new fangled suspension set ups there's a lot of bushes that look ok when they have the car on the ramp , but as soon as you put the cars weight on them there could just be enough play to create a bumping noise at slow speed .
              Another thing is lower spring mounts .
              It is just 2 wheel drive ?
              Is it manual or auto ?

.K.M.P.C.U
              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

The bush on the upper control arm is a likely culprit, from my experience. It would be the top most bush nearest the wheel. Jack the rear up, back down, this will take the lateral pressure off the bush, rock the car/wheel side to side and if you hear a knock bingo. If you rock the car without jacking you will hear nothing.

Comment

Working...
                X