Flywheel / Slave Cylinder issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel / Slave Cylinder issues

Just looking for a bit of mechanical advice if possible!

Was driving last Monday when the clutch dropped to the floor. Had my car towed to a local garage and they’ve diagnosed an issue with the slave cylinder and flywheel.

The car is under warranty with both parts being covered (or should be!), however having had the garage email photos to the warranty company they are saying that they won’t cover the flywheel as it’s fair wear and tear. They have said that the flywheel has been ‘rattling’ for some time and that has caused a number of bolts to sheer as opposed to it being a straight forward ‘failure’.

The garage has said that a ball bearing from the slave cylinder going is what caused the hole in the flywheel.

I don’t know enough about cars to know if this is the case, or if the warranty company are trying to pull a fast one to get out of paying. The garage are sitting on the fence and won’t say to me either way whether they think it’s FW&T or if it should be covered, which makes me think it should. Surely the garage would just say if they thought FW&T?

Can anyone have a look at the pics and let me know if it’s worth fighting or is what they’re saying correct? I’ve uploaded all the photos they’ve used as evidence to claim FW&T.

Thanks in advance!

If the flywheel had been rattling for some time,you would have known about it,I can assure you
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
      If the flywheel had been rattling for some time,you would have known about it,I can assure you
      This was my thought exactly. They’re saying that the photos prove it was the case, however.

Apparently now the onus is on me to prove it wasn’t down to fair wear and tear as that’s what they’ve claimed. No idea how?

It was only MOT’d and serviced by the same garage it’s in now in May, around 4,000 miles ago and they flagged nothing.

Comment

Also ,which bolts have sheared,,all the flywheel bolts look intact to me,,I can smell a rat mate
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

How can they tell from a photo that the flywheel has been rattling for some time

Comment

Also ,which bolts have sheared,,all the flywheel bolts look intact to me,,I can smell a rat mate
            They have said ‘the bottom ones on the photo’ are the ones that have sheared.

Originally posted by Samyam View Post
            How can they tell from a photo that the flywheel has been rattling for some time
            Apparently it’s visible by the damage that has been caused to the flywheel that it’s been vibrating and rattling for some time, and this is what’s caused the bolts to shear. I asked if it’s not possible that the bolts sheered, and that’s caused the rattling but apparently not? Exclusiv above doesn’t think any have sheared so who knows...

Comment

There is no bolts sheared off

Also if the vibration was that bad I’d of thought the wear on the clutch plate would of been worse

Comment

Originally posted by Samyam View Post
                There is no bolts sheared off

Also if the vibration was that bad I’d of thought the wear on the clutch plate would of been worse
                Thanks. Odd that two of you are saying the same thing! I’ll pop to the garage first thing and see if I can have a look for myself and get any further photos.

Comment

was it rattling before it failed,ive had a failed dmf on a previous car,and the noise is terrible on tickover

Comment

was it rattling before it failed,ive had a failed dmf on a previous car,and the noise is terrible on tickover
                    I’d not noticed any issues with it at all. Been driving 15+ years and average 25,000 miles a year so you’d think I’d notice if something like a rattle became apparent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben987 View Post
                      I’d not noticed any issues with it at all. Been driving 15+ years and average 25,000 miles a year so you’d think I’d notice if something like a rattle became apparent.
                      from the pictures the only thing that looks amiss,is the concentric slave cylinder has failed,,,how many mls on the car,,it still may be false economy not to change the clutch and flywheel while the gearbox is already off the engine

Comment

There's no way that you wouldn't had noticed if the flywheel was rattling. All the damage seen in pics is caused by those small bearing balls.
                        And even experienced mechanic can't say by those photos if the flywheel was rattling or not. They're just trying their luck if you would approve what they say.

Comment

from the pictures the only thing that looks amiss,is the concentric slave cylinder has failed,,,how many mls on the car,,it still may be false economy not to change the clutch and flywheel while the gearbox is already off the engine
                          It’s just gone over the 60,000 mark so I’ve told the garage to go ahead with the flywheel and clutch at my cost, though I have told the warranty company me paying isn’t my acceptance of their diagnosis, simply that I need my car back!

Originally posted by Weccu View Post
                          There's no way that you wouldn't had noticed if the flywheel was rattling. All the damage seen in pics is caused by those small bearing balls.
                          And even experienced mechanic can't say by those photos if the flywheel was rattling or not. They're just trying their luck if you would approve what they say.
                          Does the damage look as though it’s been going on for a long time or could it just have easily been done in a few miles driving?

Comment

Hello are you at liberty to say who this warrants company is , or would you rather keep them out of it .
                            Because some ( warranty wise , warranty 2000 RAC approved used car warranties, AA the same ) . The dealer will sell or give you an all singing / dancing warranty that claims to cover everything, because they get them cheap , through back handers , but when time for claiming comes they use the old chestnut " fair wear and tare " to wiggle out of the claim .
                            But back to yours , from what I can see esp in the bell housing there are ball bearings caused by failure of the slave cylinder , which has caused the damage, you can see a bullet hole in the pressure plate about the size of a ball bearing or bigger .the friction plate looks worn but is even in wear .so the slave cylinder is guilty of the crime .
                            If you were to take it further then keep all parts and employ an engineer to carry out his own diagnosis ( a bit like diagnosis murder ) ! But without Dick Van Dyke .! ( cooor blimey its Mary poppings, in a fake cockney accent!

.K.M.P.C.U
                            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                              Hello are you at liberty to say who this warrants company is , or would you rather keep them out of it .
                              Because some ( warranty wise , warranty 2000 RAC approved used car warranties, AA the same ) . The dealer will sell or give you an all singing / dancing warranty that claims to cover everything, because they get them cheap , through back handers , but when time for claiming comes they use the old chestnut " fair wear and tare " to wiggle out of the claim .
                              But back to yours , from what I can see esp in the bell housing there are ball bearings caused by failure of the slave cylinder , which has caused the damage, you can see a bullet hole in the pressure plate about the size of a ball bearing or bigger .the friction plate looks worn but is even in wear .so the slave cylinder is guilty of the crime .
                              If you were to take it further then keep all parts and employ an engineer to carry out his own diagnosis ( a bit like diagnosis murder ) ! But without Dick Van Dyke .! ( cooor blimey its Mary poppings, in a fake cockney accent!
                              The Insignia was purchased from an approved Ford dealer, something they’d taken part-ex. The warranty is through a company called AutoProtect. Currently the car is in a Halfords Autocentre garage which is supposedly their ‘preferred’ garage (can see why now!).

I have already told Halfords that I wish for all parts to be kept for me to take away afterwards for diagnosis by a third party mechanic as I believe that being their preferred garage means that they would side with the warranty company, although they claim they have simply provided the pictures and AutoAid have made the claim of FW&T themselves.

I’ve read through the T&C’s and it only says it doesn’t cover ‘wear and tear/service items such as plugs, HT leads, brake frictional material’ etc, and by my understanding a flywheel is in no means a service item.

Comment

Working...
                              X