No announcement yet.

Flywheel / Slave Cylinder issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check to see if you can get a second opinion.

Comment

The old wear and tear excuse.
      There is no way they can tell from pics if the flywheel is or has been rattling. There chancing there luck as others have said.
      What’s the garages opinion as it’ll be them they’ll submit a report to the warranty company I’d think.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben987 View Post
        Does the damage look as though it’s been going on for a long time or could it just have easily been done in a few miles driving?
        For me, it looks like that there's just normal wear and all the damage is caused by those loose ball bearings. That damage is easily done in few miles of driving, there's some pretty big and strong forces going on in the clutch & fw while driving and that ball bearing is really tough. So when it goes to somewhere it don't belong, something else will gave up before it. (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

Sorry mate, but for me, I wouldn't let Haulfrauds near any car.......not even to wash it.

Comment

Agree regarding Halfords, they are only fitters, ask to see what qualifications head mechanic has.

Comment

Originally posted by minisprint4230 View Post
              Agree regarding Halfords, they are only fitters, ask to see what qualifications head mechanic has.
              He won't be qualified to put a fuse in a 13 amp plug

Comment

Flywheel / Slave Cylinder issues

So I’ve been into Halfords today and can confirm that no bolts have sheared off, however there is damage to a few of the heads. I assume that’s from ball bearings flying around?

AutoProtect have told me that I will need to get an independent engineer report from somewhere like DEKRA at my expense (£199). They’ve said that if it lands in my favour, they will reimburse the cost of the report, if not I’m out of pocket the £199.

They have also said that Halfords will need to reject the claim, which currently covers the slave cylinder, and then they will re-assess once the report is done. This means that the whole claim could then be rejected (they’re currently covering about half the cost) and I could be even worse off.

They are now claiming that the heat spots on the flywheel are clearly long standing ones which have caused the failure. While I understand there will be wear and tear to any vehicle part the second it’s used, I don’t understand how a warranty company can differentiate between wear and tear causing the damage and failure of the item in situations like this.

Feel as though I’ll put the report in, it’ll come back as damage due to the slave cylinder fault and they’ll still find a way to wangle out of it and I’ll be £199 down...

I took a few more photos earlier and they’re holding the parts.

Comment

The picture of pitting on flywheel is how they look when you change them, can see why they think fwt, can't see ball bearings from bearing causing that, perhaps add up costs and pick cheapest option, plus getting car back.

Comment

Looks like the warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

When I bought my car, a month or so after it, the clutch was slipping.
                    Contacted the garage and they arranged for the car to go into Woods Garage in West Calder (VX dealer).
                    I got a phone call 3 days later to tell me the full clutch kit had been renewed as it looked as if it was worn and causing the issue.

No it's or buts - they rectified it instantly.

That's the kind of warranty that should come with every 2nd hand car.

Comment

So I’ve been into Halfords today and can confirm that no bolts have sheared off, however there is damage to a few of the heads. I assume that’s from ball bearings flying around?

AutoProtect have told me that I will need to get an independent engineer report from somewhere like DEKRA at my expense (£199). They’ve said that if it lands in my favour, they will reimburse the cost of the report, if not I’m out of pocket the £199.

They have also said that Halfords will need to reject the claim, which currently covers the slave cylinder, and then they will re-assess once the report is done. This means that the whole claim could then be rejected (they’re currently covering about half the cost) and I could be even worse off.

They are now claiming that the heat spots on the flywheel are clearly long standing ones which have caused the failure. While I understand there will be wear and tear to any vehicle part the second it’s used, I don’t understand how a warranty company can differentiate between wear and tear causing the damage and failure of the item in situations like this.

Feel as though I’ll put the report in, it’ll come back as damage due to the slave cylinder fault and they’ll still find a way to wangle out of it and I’ll be £199 down...

They sure know how to play this game....and I don't know how this works there, but I would do this: Get that car repaired in that place at your own cost and get receipt, so you get the car back. Get that report and if there really was no rattling before, it will come out in your favour. Then claim all the money back (you have receipt from "their" repair garage and from that report) and change the insurance company as fast as you can.

Comment

The warranty company is singing that famous song " fair wear and tare "
                        Maybe they shoukd do there own version and bring out as a Christmas number 1 .
                        I suggest Tony Hadley or Dick-van-Dyke could sing it .

.K.M.P.C.U
                        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Problem is everything is ware and tear on cars, DMF/clutch/ bearings ect., if you just bought the car and done let's say 2k miles then you can argue and most likely they will just pay, but if you have been driving this car for while is going to be very difficult to get money out of them. Is not something you want to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Weccu View Post
                            They sure know how to play this game....and I don't know how this works there, but I would do this: Get that car repaired in that place at your own cost and get receipt, so you get the car back. Get that report and if there really was no rattling before, it will come out in your favour. Then claim all the money back (you have receipt from "their" repair garage and from that report) and change the insurance company as fast as you can.
                            That’s my plan. Got an independent assessor lined up to look at it once it’s sorted and then I’ll be fighting the full receipted costs.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice!

Comment

Tough one. But who owns the car? You. Who owns the parts? You. Make sure they keep your property and dont dispose of out of convenience. The clutch release bearing failure will immediately take the slave cylinder with it, so it will not fail slowly and cause damage to the DMF or friction plate or no damage of any significance anyway. If the DMF was on the way out you would know about it with the vibration. If the Release bearing was on the way out you'd know about it with the rough feel on the clutch pedal.

Comment

Working...
                              X