2015 Insignia hatch
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forum Key Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben987 View Post
    I’d not noticed any issues with it at all. Been driving 15+ years and average 25,000 miles a year so you’d think I’d notice if something like a rattle became apparent.
    from the pictures the only thing that looks amiss,is the concentric slave cylinder has failed,,,how many mls on the car,,it still may be false economy not to change the clutch and flywheel while the gearbox is already off the engine
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav Biturbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Gloss black roof wrap.

Car
    -14 Insignia ST, 2.0CDTI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no way that you wouldn't had noticed if the flywheel was rattling. All the damage seen in pics is caused by those small bearing balls.
    And even experienced mechanic can't say by those photos if the flywheel was rattling or not. They're just trying their luck if you would approve what they say.

Car
    Vauxhall Insignia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exclusiv. View Post
    from the pictures the only thing that looks amiss,is the concentric slave cylinder has failed,,,how many mls on the car,,it still may be false economy not to change the clutch and flywheel while the gearbox is already off the engine
    It’s just gone over the 60,000 mark so I’ve told the garage to go ahead with the flywheel and clutch at my cost, though I have told the warranty company me paying isn’t my acceptance of their diagnosis, simply that I need my car back!

Quote Originally Posted by Weccu View Post
    There's no way that you wouldn't had noticed if the flywheel was rattling. All the damage seen in pics is caused by those small bearing balls.
    And even experienced mechanic can't say by those photos if the flywheel was rattling or not. They're just trying their luck if you would approve what they say.
    Does the damage look as though it’s been going on for a long time or could it just have easily been done in a few miles driving?

Car
    saab 9-3 turboX.9-3 1.9 TID,vectra B GSI,nissan qashqai.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello are you at liberty to say who this warrants company is , or would you rather keep them out of it .
    Because some ( warranty wise , warranty 2000 RAC approved used car warranties, AA the same ) . The dealer will sell or give you an all singing / dancing warranty that claims to cover everything, because they get them cheap , through back handers , but when time for claiming comes they use the old chestnut " fair wear and tare " to wiggle out of the claim .
    But back to yours , from what I can see esp in the bell housing there are ball bearings caused by failure of the slave cylinder , which has caused the damage, you can see a bullet hole in the pressure plate about the size of a ball bearing or bigger .the friction plate looks worn but is even in wear .so the slave cylinder is guilty of the crime .
    If you were to take it further then keep all parts and employ an engineer to carry out his own diagnosis ( a bit like diagnosis murder ) ! But without Dick Van Dyke .! ( cooor blimey its Mary poppings, in a fake cockney accent!

5. Thanks Ben987 Thanked
    Likes 0011728 liked
    Car
    Vauxhall Insignia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzard-t View Post
    Hello are you at liberty to say who this warrants company is , or would you rather keep them out of it .
    Because some ( warranty wise , warranty 2000 RAC approved used car warranties, AA the same ) . The dealer will sell or give you an all singing / dancing warranty that claims to cover everything, because they get them cheap , through back handers , but when time for claiming comes they use the old chestnut " fair wear and tare " to wiggle out of the claim .
    But back to yours , from what I can see esp in the bell housing there are ball bearings caused by failure of the slave cylinder , which has caused the damage, you can see a bullet hole in the pressure plate about the size of a ball bearing or bigger .the friction plate looks worn but is even in wear .so the slave cylinder is guilty of the crime .
    If you were to take it further then keep all parts and employ an engineer to carry out his own diagnosis ( a bit like diagnosis murder ) ! But without Dick Van Dyke .! ( cooor blimey its Mary poppings, in a fake cockney accent!
    The Insignia was purchased from an approved Ford dealer, something they’d taken part-ex. The warranty is through a company called AutoProtect. Currently the car is in a Halfords Autocentre garage which is supposedly their ‘preferred’ garage (can see why now!).

I have already told Halfords that I wish for all parts to be kept for me to take away afterwards for diagnosis by a third party mechanic as I believe that being their preferred garage means that they would side with the warranty company, although they claim they have simply provided the pictures and AutoAid have made the claim of FW&T themselves.

I’ve read through the T&C’s and it only says it doesn’t cover ‘wear and tear/service items such as plugs, HT leads, brake frictional material’ etc, and by my understanding a flywheel is in no means a service item.

Car
    Insignia estate 2.0cdti Exclusiv
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check to see if you can get a second opinion.

Car
    Insignia SRi VX-line 160 Nav
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old wear and tear excuse.
    There is no way they can tell from pics if the flywheel is or has been rattling. There chancing there luck as others have said.
    What’s the garages opinion as it’ll be them they’ll submit a report to the warranty company I’d think.

Car
    -14 Insignia ST, 2.0CDTI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben987 View Post
    Does the damage look as though it’s been going on for a long time or could it just have easily been done in a few miles driving?
    For me, it looks like that there's just normal wear and all the damage is caused by those loose ball bearings. That damage is easily done in few miles of driving, there's some pretty big and strong forces going on in the clutch & fw while driving and that ball bearing is really tough. So when it goes to somewhere it don't belong, something else will gave up before it. (Sorry for my bad english)

Forum Police - Mind where you post or I'll have you! RBH's Avatar
    Car
    I have one.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry mate, but for me, I wouldn't let Haulfrauds near any car.......not even to wash it.

Car
    Insignia estate 2.0cdti Exclusiv
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree regarding Halfords, they are only fitters, ask to see what qualifications head mechanic has.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast