Reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reliability

Hi guys just wondered how most people view the a20dth engine, (160cdti) looking online there’s a lot who have had seized engines, low oil pressure and general engine destroying faults. Is this a Realy bad engine or a case of the few failures arnt that bad considering how many of them engines in use? Spoke to two mechanics and one said it’s a terrible block and other said he’s not seen any with big problems.

Originally posted by Rich28uk View Post
    Hi guys just wondered how most people view the a20dth engine, (160cdti) looking online there’s a lot who have had seized engines, low oil pressure and general engine destroying faults. Is this a Realy bad engine or a case of the few failures arnt that bad considering how many of them engines in use? Spoke to two mechanics and one said it’s a terrible block and other said he’s not seen any with big problems.
    Your answer is in your questions.

Comment

Might be but just wanted other people’s views. I know most people don’t visit forums until something goes wrong and can’t say iv seen many insignias on hard shoulder, it’s usaly BMW’s.

Comment

I just think that they are like all things mechanical---service them on a regular basis/and always use Quality oil and filters and service them at least twice a year---never mind what the service schedule says----and don't believe all that you here about these engines----Dave

Comment

That’s what I was wondering about. Some have big failures but how was it serviced and how often oil and filters. Iv always done mine every 6000 miles with filter every second change, and upto now never had any oil related issues or major engine faults. My 160 cdti has 87000 on it and hoping to run it to around 150,000 upwards.

Comment

If your sitting at 87k then I'd consider getting the seal done
            It'll prolong the life of your engine.....and you'll have piece of mind that you'll not be sitting on the hard shoulder beside them Beemers

Comment

Just had my seal done @ 67k---had no history with the car when I bought it---even though the car had been looked after---since ive had it I have gone over the car just to make sure that nothing was needing attention----and I use good quality oil and filters---that's my choice and people can use cheaper brands as they do but I think thats a false economy-----Dave

Comment

Definitely a good idea to do the seal, will do mine when I get some time off, have any of the a20dth engines failed because of other things than the seal?

Comment

Cambelt failure , is another.
                  DPF regeneration process being interrupted too many times , thus highering the level of oil / diesel in the sump , causing in extremel cases runaway or bottom end failure .
                  Turbo disintegration, being swallowed and causing cylinder damage .
                  There are a lot of scenarios that can happen , but some are preventable, some are unknown.
                  Thease engines are tried and trusted units , if looked after . And fleet buyers love them ,
                  Yep the voice of DOOM has said his piece
                  Every manufacturer has problems, but don't want others to find out , the power of the internet has made this information widely available.
                  There's one manufacturer I know that had problems with the swirl flaps actually being eaten by the engine, but never disclosed it , they just modified them all secret squirrel stuff .

.K.M.P.C.U
                  YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Sorry to jump on this thread, but what is this seal I keep hearing of that everyone seems to recommend replacing?

Comment

It's this seal:

Oil pick up seal.
                      Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                      Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

I’ve just done research on it. Seems a lot of work for what is a very small part! What would everyone recommend, wait until symptoms show or replace asap? I’m on 66000 miles, do around 12000 miles a year, will be increasing to 18000 in a couple of weeks, mostly motorway mileage. I’ve only just bought the car, so could do without a large garage bill to keep her happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Groovyblues View Post
                          I’ve just done research on it. Seems a lot of work for what is a very small part! What would everyone recommend, wait until symptoms show or replace asap? I’m on 66000 miles, do around 12000 miles a year, will be increasing to 18000 in a couple of weeks, mostly motorway mileage. I’ve only just bought the car, so could do without a large garage bill to keep her happy!
                          For the sake of a £15 seal + the fitting......I'd get it seen to before it costs you an engine.

Comment

I just had mine done by a fella who is an expert at the job---cost me £200 plus my time and travel--he supplied the oil seal and changed the oil and filter included with the price---was a bit of a drive for me but he is highly recommended and people travel from all over the UK and he has some customers from abroad---took him about 2 hours to do the job------Dave

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                              For the sake of a £15 seal + the fitting......I'd get it seen to before it costs you an engine.
                              Okay thanks. And I assume it affects all 2L diesels?

Comment

Working...
                              X