Insignia Grand Sport Adaptive Cruise Control odd behaviour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insignia Grand Sport Adaptive Cruise Control odd behaviour

Hi all just picked up my new Insignia Grand Sport SRI VX line in the last few months.
    Car is lovely and enjoying the ownership experience. I am still getting to grips with all the options on board including the adaptive cruise control.

If anyone has any experience of this feature with there Insignia please chime in.

Not sure if mine is faulty or if they are all like this? It seems to activate no problems but the distance gap it leaves is downright bizarre.
    For example around town under 30 mph it works great leaving a sensible gap of around 2.5 -3 seconds gap on setting 3 which is the longest gap.

Then after this the faster I go the closer the gap goes for example at 60-70mph the gap is around 1.4 seconds to the car in front and that's on distance 3 the furthest setting.
    I am guessing setting 1 the closest must be downright dangerous at that speed anyway.

At 80 mph when I tested it the gap was around 1.7 seconds to the car in front this was again on distance no 3 the furthest.

If anyone has this on there car please advise if this is normal?

The seconds gap I am reading from the car display screen and backed up by my own perception of how close I am to the car in front.

Adaptive cruise is not meant for city / town driving. it is more for long distance cruising. As for the distance settings I will have to check on mine, though I have the Insignia A. But at motorway speeds I have no problems with near, middle or far distance indicators
    Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
      Adaptive cruise is not meant for city / town driving. it is more for long distance cruising. As for the distance settings I will have to check on mine, though I have the Insignia A. But at motorway speeds I have no problems with near, middle or far distance indicators
      Yes it will be interesting to see how it compares to mine maybe they are all like that.
      At the moment I have stopped using it as it drives to close for comfort for me on the motorway.

Comment

Won't be using it on the motorway again till Friday
        Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by tabergan View Post
          Yes it will be interesting to see how it compares to mine maybe they are all like that.
          At the moment I have stopped using it as it drives to close for comfort for me on the motorway.
          Think If it was me I would see if Vauxhall can permanently switch it off or pull fuse out.

Comment

Originally posted by tabergan View Post
            Hi all just picked up my new Insignia Grand Sport SRI VX line in the last few months.
            Car is lovely and enjoying the ownership experience. I am still getting to grips with all the options on board including the adaptive cruise control.

If anyone has any experience of this feature with there Insignia please chime in.

Not sure if mine is faulty or if they are all like this? It seems to activate no problems but the distance gap it leaves is downright bizarre.
            For example around town under 30 mph it works great leaving a sensible gap of around 2.5 -3 seconds gap on setting 3 which is the longest gap.

Then after this the faster I go the closer the gap goes for example at 60-70mph the gap is around 1.4 seconds to the car in front and that's on distance 3 the furthest setting.
            I am guessing setting 1 the closest must be downright dangerous at that speed anyway.

At 80 mph when I tested it the gap was around 1.7 seconds to the car in front this was again on distance no 3 the furthest.

If anyone has this on there car please advise if this is normal?

The seconds gap I am reading from the car display screen and backed up by my own perception of how close I am to the car in front.
            Are you sure you have adaptive cruise control? It sounds like you may have normal cruise control. Could you be confusing the collision alert distance setting? That will brake if it thinks you are going to hit the car in front.

If you do have adaptive cruise control you should have a little car above the cruise control icon to tell you it's adaptive cruise control shown by the arrow in this pic

If you have normal cruise control it will just be the cruise control icon like mine in this pic
            2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Hi its definitely the adaptive cruise as indicated in your pictures. The car stops and starts automatically in traffic it works really well at that speed.

I have emailed Vauxhall to see what they say, maybe its setup that way so it drives more aggressively on the motorway.

Comment

Ah ok. Thought I'd clear that up just in case.
                2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

maybe they have used an Audi adaptive cruise system if it's aggressive?! =o/

Comment

Will be trying mine later on the motorway and I'll report back, though mines the A.

Comment

I will update you all when I hear from Vauxhall i suspect this week now. Maybe its set for Audi mode, full on aggressive mode by default.

Comment

Okay, quick update from my test. Doing 75 on motorway on distance 3 (largest gap) was approximately 1.7 seconds. I say approximately because on my system I had to turn off the adaptive cruid and switch to distance monitoring so there may be 0.1 second either way during the change. At 70 the gap was 1.9 seconds. The distance by eye is adequate. Remember that though they say 2 second gap is recommended, this is to allow for human reaction time. The automated system of the adaptive cruise has quicker reaction times and I have no issues with the gaps that the system leaves, though I always have it on distance setting 3 (largest). If the system left larger gaps then this would constantly be filled by other cars popping into the gaps. Very happy with my adaptive cruise and a great system, though it does take a little time to gain confidence with letting the system auto brake.

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
                          Okay, quick update from my test. Doing 75 on motorway on distance 3 (largest gap) was approximately 1.7 seconds. I say approximately because on my system I had to turn off the adaptive cruid and switch to distance monitoring so there may be 0.1 second either way during the change. At 70 the gap was 1.9 seconds. The distance by eye is adequate. Remember that though they say 2 second gap is recommended, this is to allow for human reaction time. The automated system of the adaptive cruise has quicker reaction times and I have no issues with the gaps that the system leaves, though I always have it on distance setting 3 (largest). If the system left larger gaps then this would constantly be filled by other cars popping into the gaps. Very happy with my adaptive cruise and a great system, though it does take a little time to gain confidence with letting the system auto brake.
                          Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to confirm this.

So I guess the results are similar to mine gap wise.
                          You are correct that the system will react quicker.

For me personally the gap is still to close for comfort.
                          I will just use for traffic jams on the motorway where the gap is around 3 seconds.

I await with interest what Vauxhall tech team say about this.
                          Will update you all when they email me back.

Comment

Working...
                          X