Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At my wits end with this car! 15 reg, Handbrake is failing, radio is freezing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At my wits end with this car! 15 reg, Handbrake is failing, radio is freezing.....

Ok, so I've had the car now for 3 months.

The dealership I bought the car from is of no help, at first they said if they sent the car for diagnostics to two places and they came back showing no faults, they'd change the car out of a goodwill gesture.

Well, that was a lie, wasn't it!

As was when they sold me the car, telling me they'd have a spare wheel and kit ordered for me. I've been chasing them up about this since I bought it, still don't have it.
    On the day of collecting it, I drove to work, noticed the MPG was awful, turns out I had a slow puncture. Rang the garage, the told me they couldn't get me booked in for 3 days! I just picked the car up! So fantastic start, eh?

So I had to use the inflation kit. Now I have no way to fix or change to a spare/inflate if god forbid it goes flat again.

Handbrake is intermittent, it doesn't always engage first time when you pull the electric switch. Sometimes have to pull it at least 3 damn times for it to work. Its rolled a few times, one of the times, its rolled on my drive and smashed into my gate, causing damage to the rear bumper. Another time, it rolled with my 1 year old son in the car, still in his car seat.

Was meeting my mum in town, parked up, applied the handbrake. Got out to get his pram out the boot and my mum got out to get him out the car seat. As I'm walking to the back of the car, it begins to roll. I rush back to the front and hop in, applying the handbrake again. Garage I bought it from don't care, even though today they saw the issue first hand of it not applying first time you pull it being intermittent.

Radio likes to freeze and lock up. I have to take my key out the ignition, open my door and restart the car for it to unfreeze when it freezes.

It popped up on the dashboard whilst driving, saying the rear passenger door was open, when it wasn't.

I've showed the garage video and picture evidence, to be told "No issues, it's all in my head". The garages they sent it to for diagnostics didn't have a diagnostics sheet. When I asked today for it when picking the car up, they said they can't do them and don't have one. What. The....

Finance company informed, they want me to send proofs over and testimony's from people who have witnessed the faults. I've got an appointment to see and speak to Trading Standards on Friday. I've left the car with the garage I bought it from after removing all my personal property under the grounds of the owner of the garage will drive it for 3 days and see if the issue occurs for him. His incompetent self, is the one who said its all in my head, they said it looks like it is the switch, then backtracked when I went back in to ask saying there's no issue.

The owner of the garage when he was driving the car earlier, was pulling up on the handbrake saying that's how it disengages and pushing down disengages it. He soon realised his fault, corrected himself and talked in a condescending tone to me. Drove my car without a seatbelt on on public roads.

They say they need to see these faults happen... Is video evidence, damage to the car, pictures and witnesses not enough??

Handbrake also disengages when the car is in neutral, if you depress the clutch whilst still in neutral and tap the accelerator, off it comes. Asked Vauxhall about this, they said themselves it shouldn't be doing that.

What do I do?

Sounds like with the hand brake you just haven’t got used to it. I was like that at first but now I’m used to it. I know what you mean though regarding being in neutral and the hand brake comes off. I think that was a design flaw tbh

Comment

At a guess there is dampness/moisture and probably corrosion on some connectors along the wiring looms, can be time consuming to find, electronics on modern cars are via CAN systems which work well but moisture which in turn corrodes connections just causes havoc giving the strangest of faults, had fault few months ago on my sisters MX5 where roof kept opening on its own then would not close again that ended up being leak with water running onto connections in foot well.
      also it could be the code reader that was used is not good enough to read all faults on all ECUs.

Comment

Your not happy with either the car or the garage.
        Call the A-team and get BA to pay them a visit.
        Or mad Frank .
        See how it goes Friday with trading standards.
        Keep us up to speed.cos I like a bit of goss

.K.M.P.C.U
        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Firstly, have you never heard of leaving it parked in gear with the hand brake on? In reverse when parked downhill and in first when parked up hill? Turn the wheels slightly towards the kerb: if the car rolls, it will steer into the kerb and stop. Leave the car in gear: if the parking brake fails, the engine should stop the wheels turning. (This only applies to a car with manual gears.)

Any normal person would have learnt after the first episode with the parking brake releasing unexpectedly. Any damage to the car from poor operation when parking is down to the driver. The handbrake should always be pulled up twice when parking the vehicle. You can pull it as often as you like but it should only adjust twice. Dipping the clutch and blipping the throttle releasing the handbrake is normal and is not a fault. Try RTFM.

Regarding the dealer taking it to other garages who can't diagnose faults, suggest the take it to a Vauxhall dealer who have the knowledge and equipment to test properly. Regarding the puncture, this could have occured while you were driving and you've just been unlucky. If the garage decide to remedy this then it would be a gesture of good will - unless you could prove the puncture was there before you bought the vehicle. If there was agreement for them to supply the spar wheel and kit was this in writing e.g. on the ssales invoice? Or was it advertised with the wheel and kit? If no proof and they dispute then difficult to prove.
          Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
            The handbrake should always be pulled up twice when parking the vehicle. You can pull it as often as you like but it should only adjust twice.
            On a mechanical handbrake sure, but from Mogga's original post it seems he's got an electric one.

With regards the puncture, surely if it was a slow puncture, he'd have been better taking it to a tyre shop for repair, rather than using the emergency inflation kit, which more or less renders the tyre unsalvageable.
            2018 1.5T SRi Nav
            Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
              On a mechanical handbrake sure, but from Mogga's original post it seems he's got an electric one..
              I was referring to the electric handbrake
              Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Flat road. Not on a slant.

I know how electronic handbrakes work and I am used to them. These issues aren't my fault, so no the damage to my rear bumper isn't down to poor operation from the driver. I see this forum is as much help as a chocolate fireguard...

You've missed the point. The handbrake sometimes refuses to engage at all.

As for the dipping the clutch and "blipping the throttle". Yes, if you're in gear. However, if the car is still in neutral, it shouldn't. This has been confirmed by Vauxhall themselves.

Yes, the tyre is the sales invoice. As for using the inflation kit, that is what they suggested over the phone.

Comment

Not all code readers will read the Insignia,worth getting codes re-read to check the h/brake issue,motor/switch,module.Are the rear pads ok for wear?
                  Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                  Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Yeah, the rear pads are fine for wear. I'm gonna be taking it over to Vauxhall when I get it back on Friday for them to look at it. The places the garage sent it to didn't even have a report of the diagnostics or anything like that when I asked to see them.

Comment

May be worth asking if any members close to you have 'op-com'or the like to read the codes in the system?
                      Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                      Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Mogga View Post
                        Flat road. Not on a slant.

I know how electronic handbrakes work and I am used to them. These issues aren't my fault, so no the damage to my rear bumper isn't down to poor operation from the driver. I see this forum is as much help as a chocolate fireguard...

You've missed the point. The handbrake sometimes refuses to engage at all.

As for the dipping the clutch and "blipping the throttle". Yes, if you're in gear. However, if the car is still in neutral, it shouldn't. This has been confirmed by Vauxhall themselves.

Yes, the tyre is the sales invoice. As for using the inflation kit, that is what they suggested over the phone.
                        If it refuses to engage you need t keep trying until it does surly? Mine is like that. Just used to it now

Comment

Originally posted by Mogga View Post
                          I see this forum is as much help as a chocolate fireguard...
                          Then why come on and post up looking for advice???

Most guys on here aren't technically minded but will try and help with remedies that others may not come up with.

Another point is, look at the time you've posted, most of us are in bed and some of the "experts" will be logged in on daytime hours.....so maybe you'll get answers you want to hear.

You've only been a member for over a month so please don't come on slagging the forum which you've not really had any input on.

Comment

I would get on ebay and get another hand brake switch there is one for £10 and hopefully it fixes PART OF YOU ISSUES but at least it would eliminate the switch. I pull mine just the once and can hear the actuator engaging with a change in tone as pressure is reached (this works even after key removal), can you hear anything?, My thoughts are possibly your switch is giving a signal to release as well as engage at the same time so confuses the ecu.

Comment

All the Insignias I have been in, you can hear handbrake, quite loud actually.
                              Regarding intermittent faults, nearly always water ingress, check for damp, code readings and type of faults can usually point to what module is at fault.

Comment

Working...
                              X