Vauxhall 'trademark' bonnet flutes disappearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vauxhall 'trademark' bonnet flutes disappearing

Anyone noticed how the flutes on Insignia A's emulate the old Vauxhall Velox?Click image for larger version

Name:	48922838982_a1d4711ccc_b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	249330
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay141022456136403.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	249331

They've not been retained on the GS
    2018 1.5T SRi Nav
    Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Personally I wouldn't say there a flute....as there's always been a bit of a debate about this.

According to Vauxhall, the last cars made with the chrome flutes, were at the end of the 1950's.

But.....were carried on in some models.
    The last car to be made with visible flutes were the VX range.

Name:	720328.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	243826
    These were stopped on all models when Vauxhall were taken over by GM and incorporated the Opel range.

Comment

Being a bit dumb here but what are flutes on a car and where?....I don't know what I'm looking for on the photos.
      2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
        Being a bit dumb here but what are flutes on a car and where?....I don't know what I'm looking for on the photos.
        It's the design on the bonnet.....coming from the screen down to grille.

On the old vauxhall, they're finished in chrome.

Comment

the design was copied by a Vauxhall manager from the design on his wardrobe.

Comment

They were the concave chrome strips either side of the bonnet; they were a 'trademark' of Vauxhalls from the 20's, and became a major feature on the Wyvern and Velox models of the 50's.

Name:	images.jpeg
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	243827

I hadn't realised how there was a nod to these on the insignia until I noticed Gary-s's photo on a separate thread

Name:	48922838982_a1d4711ccc_b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	243828
            Last edited by PeteH; 23-10-2019, 10:04 AM.
            2018 1.5T SRi Nav
            Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Oh right on...I don't see it on the facelift myself but I'll take your word for it.
              2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Oh right on...I don't see it on the facelift myself but I'll take your word for it.
                It's the concave contour running from the A pillar down to the grille:

Name:	IMG_20191023_094110.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	243829
                It's only really noticeable at this angle
                2018 1.5T SRi Nav

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                  the design was copied by a Vauxhall manager from the design on his wardrobe.
                  Really?
                  2018 1.5T SRi Nav

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
                    Really?
                    Yep......I bought a book in the early 90's called Vauxhall - The Post War Years by Trevor Alder....and it tell the story of it .

Also tells you how VX was named after some nobility and his home was Flukes ( spelling) Hall near Luton.

Pretty interesting book.

Comment

So I guess the Meriva was inspired by the rest of the wardrobe
                      2018 1.5T SRi Nav

Comment

Some people have waaaaayyyyy to much time on their hands

Comment

Originally posted by Plym Ian View Post
                          Some people have waaaaayyyyy to much time on their hands
                          The joys of retirement
                          2018 1.5T SRi Nav

Comment

I take it that means the Vectra C has a low profile inverted flute? .

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
                              I take it that means the Vectra C has a low profile inverted flute? .
                              Nope.....designers paper was creased

Comment

Working...
                              X