so much for buying cars with FULL service history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so much for buying cars with FULL service history

Just done oil and filters on /mrs's merc, Now we got it with full Merc history at 4 years old, all services done at main mercedes dealers, the car is a 2014 anyway removed air filter and found date code on side of element its dated just couple weeks before the car was registered, therefore in all the visits for a service its never been change! I know from experience the typical service bill for a modern merc with no additional work is getting on for £500 what a rip off (that is what we paid for first service on a SLK with only 3000 mile on).

I remember a lad at work bought his first 'decent' car,renault clio,full dealer history,when warranty ran out,he asked me to service it,NO air filter in his!!Did they actually do a service?Can't trust some dealerships.
    Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
    Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Yep can't even trust the big boys even when they are taking £500 quid for doing it.

Comment

good job you decided to service it yourself.
        Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
        Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Always done my own repairs (self taught) from old run abouts to big newish cars like Jags/Mercs ect (unless its still within warranty).

Comment

Car servicing is the biggest scam going, shame lot of people gets stung every year.

At least in your situation you now know it has been done.

Comment

Originally posted by ilunn View Post
              Just done oil and filters on /mrs's merc, Now we got it with full Merc history at 4 years old, all services done at main mercedes dealers, the car is a 2014 anyway removed air filter and found date code on side of element its dated just couple weeks before the car was registered, therefore in all the visits for a service its never been change! I know from experience the typical service bill for a modern merc with no additional work is getting on for £500 what a rip off (that is what we paid for first service on a SLK with only 3000 mile on).
              disgracefull
              ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Could the date code not just be the date which it was manufactured? Then its stored in its box in a bin at the stealer and they just happened to pick this one up when you had your last service? Not trying to defend the stealer.. could just be the reason for the date stamp.

Comment

what leearnold89 said,.. could simply be a manufacture date, I wouldn't think a filter would have an 'installed date' anywhere on it at all.

Comment

FSH means nothing to me without receipts to back it up.

As a habit i change all fluids and filters, check discs and pads, upgrade headlight bulbs and replace wipers when i purchase a car, if the milage is close to any major work due and i cant see it in any receipts then i book the work in.

Wifes car was bought with no S/H and a couple of receipts but drove well on the test drive, couple of parking scrapes only downside, oil was not overly black so had been done recently.

since its been owned by us in less than 6 months its had oil, oil filter, air and pollen filter and fuel filter done by me, waterpump, coolant, power steering fluid, pulleys and tensioners, all belts changed (all part of a major service so good for a while at least), LED upgrade for dipped beam, wipers changed, front bumper respray and rear bumper touchup.....oh and a good detail a couple of times

Aside from a chipex kit due to be used on it car looks like new is in better condition than other's we've seen and it was cheapest we could find by about £800, all the above cost less than that and i've kept the receipts ready

Comment

Originally posted by leearnold89 View Post
                      Could the date code not just be the date which it was manufactured? Then its stored in its box in a bin at the stealer and they just happened to pick this one up when you had your last service? Not trying to defend the stealer.. could just be the reason for the date stamp.
                      Originally posted by Chewy1971 View Post
                      what leearnold89 said,.. could simply be a manufacture date, I wouldn't think a filter would have an 'installed date' anywhere on it at all.
                      Yes there is very slight chance but last mercedes dealer service done in 2017 so chance's of them still having it on shelf after 3 1/2 years, I have pollen filter to do when it stops raining so will be interesting to see what dates are on that.

Comment

Working...
                      X