No announcement yet.

4x4 Transfer case woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a update found my problem.... diff and haldex was replaced by previous owner 4k miles ago by vauxtec and they must of snapped a bolt for the propshaft bearing support one is help on by a bolt other must of been over torqued and snapped now need to.drill out and see if i can get it sorted cheers

Comment

Glad you’ve found your problem! Still not had a chance to get under mine and now the weather is against me. No garage to speak of so I need to work out in the weather! Might try and tuck the front end into the mower shed tomorrow afternoon, then get myself in through the window

Comment

Good luck 😂

Comment

I found time! Having built some ramps out of sleepers and breeze blocks and tucked my car into the front of an old coach house (turns out horse drawn carriages were a lot narrower than the modern car!) I managed to get under and clean up the underside of the transfer case!

Click image for larger version

Name:	0A469D81-A6A3-45D2-8122-4D1A105EE712.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	243872

So with that done I’ve (mostly) drained and refilled the fluid and taken it for a blast down the drive. No more thunk!

I’ve also found the highest point of all the gunge and it appears to be where the offside half-shaft emerges from the transfer box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8E289AFC-8864-48E6-8C26-0B48E12028F5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	243871

This was harder to get at to clean up so only got a distant squirt of cleaner after the picture was taken. Need to look up any issues from that part.

Edit: Does anyone know how much the big metal sump guard weighs? I could take it off and manage a lot more but didn’t want to drop it on myself and get stuck!

Edit: also I suspect my SVS message, that comes up with the ignition before starting every time, might be pointing me towards either glow plugs (which sound financially painful) or battery.
          The battery looks original with its GM branding, I’m happy to swap that for a big Bosch AGM battery but not sure I’d attempt glow plugs myself.
          Has anybody done the plugs on an A20DTH and hit any snags or problems? I’ll check the impedance first, see what state they’re in.

Cheers for any pointers!

Comment

Update:

The transfer case thunk continues to baffle me. It is definitely leaking, I’m still convinced it’s the offside half shaft seal but access is an issue. Sometimes the thunk just isn’t there. I drive the car most days, cold days and warm(er) days, temperature makes no odds. Sometimes I can get on to the road and boot it and it’s just goes, other times it will thunk so hard I’ll lift and feather my way up to 60mph. Confused!!

In other news, faults codes read, battery low voltage and glow plugs 1+3 knackered. Battery replaced, easy job. Does anyone have any hints on unplugging the glow plugs? I can’t physically disconnect them and don’t really want to go jabbing around with a screwdriver unless that’s the only way.

Cheers!

Shealesy

Comment

Working...
            X