Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 Transfer case woes

Hi all, 4x4 help needed here!

Managed to get under my car for a bit this afternoon the check or change and work out what the shunting effect is.

Pulled the Haldex fill plug, fluid is up to the level and a clean amber colour so must have been done not that long before I got the car. Checked the diff oil at the same time and again clean, nothing stuck to the fill plug.

So what on earth is the thunking sound when I pull away? Tilt head up a bit, turn car around on the “ramps” to get a better look under the front end.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	D0346ECF-16D1-44EA-ADE3-8A4BC256390B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	249332

Name:	ED08C878-04D2-41BE-840D-5A46D48A7815.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	249333

Oh....

So from my understanding this is the transfer case and it’s covered in mucky black gunk, there’s a little drop of fresh oil toward the rear (left side in first picture, closer in second, upside down picture) which again looked and felt clean on the finger. It had an oil change last week so does the transfer case share a sump with the main engine or does it have its own?

Anybody had this issue and sussed a fix for it? Or do I need to take it to a Vauxhall garage for this? I’ve got one local who might be worth a go, good words from friends who use them.

Info: 2014 Insignia Country Tourer 4x4, 2.0 CDTI (A20DTH)

The transfer box uses its own oil, separate to gearbox and engine.

When I did my haldex unit the oil that came out didn't look to bad either but a filter and oil change sorted it so still might be worth a go as you've got the bits already.

Do you know where the noise is coming from? Underneath you or to the rear?

Comment

Cheers Iceman,

I’ll give the Haldex the full once over when I get my next chance.

The shunt feels beneath, even slightly forward, of me. Much worse on full lock which searches here helped lead me down the Haldex route but the cleanliness of everything underneath besides the transfer case has me concerned.

I see quite a lot about the prop shaft seal, and looking online at parts stores there seems to be a lot of prop shaft seals as common parts. Thankfully for around a fiver too, suits the wallet better than Ł300 used to Łastronomical new!

Comment

Have a look at the two rubber mounts that hold the propshaft, is there excessive movement on these? Does the rubber look perished?

If these are worn this will allow the propshaft to move about possibly causing noise.

IMO the crud on your transfer box looks like it's run down from above as the the propshaft looks pretty clean in comparison as it exits the the transfer box. Also I'd imagine there would be splats of oil in the tunnel above as the prop flings leaking oil about. Just going off what I can see so I may be wrong.

Do you have to top up any other oil levels often?

Comment

I’ll get under again tomorrow and give the prop shaft a shake. In this cropped photo I think it looks like the oil is coming out of that union between the housing and the shaft, seems to only be on the lower half and then across the box. I couldn’t see any crud when peering down from above through the engine bay. It’s settled my mind a bit.

Name:	EA3398BC-7FB5-4357-8F3E-C5D5520B2952.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	243832

I’ve only had the car 2 weeks and haven’t need to top up anything yet. I’ll have to work on the ramp situation and get that oil changed out and scrubbed up a bit.

Comment

I see what you mean about the shaft now I can see closer. I'd have thought the oil would be all the away around however. Also the car spends most of the time going forward (unless you like reversing everywhere) so any oil leaks would move towards the rear of the car (hence I think it's running down from above)

Like you said, give it a good clean under there so any leaks are easier to trace.

Comment

I have the same problem knocking clunking from center like propshaft but bushs are ok i also have oil around transfer box will change this and do filter on haldex and report back

Comment

I’ve not managed to get under and do this yet but I’ve found when I start the car, if I pull away incredibly gently (luckily, I have a very long drive to crawl, slowly down) it won’t knock for that journey, even when I give it a good boot when I pull out on to the main road.
                Alternatively if I get in and boot it down the drive (throwing gravel everywhere type of boot it) it will clunk and thunk until I get the fear until I lift off, which is pretty soon!

Comment

Check the centre prop shaft mount / bearing . .
                  Also the amount of old cruddy oil seems to be coming from transfer box output shaft , but if levels are ok then just keep an eye , clean up Aera and monitor situation.
                  Had the car had the haldex system regularly serviced before you got it ?

.K.M.P.C.U
                  YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Hi shealesy mine does a similar thing if i pull off on feather light throttle no knocking as soon as i press it a bit more knock knock but then stops at high rpm mine makes it when most torque is going through it heres a vid of the noise is yours similar noise cheers

Comment

Sorry Yaza, mine is nothing like that. It’s not a knocking as such like yours but a shoving sensation accompanied by a sort of low thunk sound.
                      It’s around twice a second at its fastest, when I’ve got my foot down hardest (I have to pull off the drive onto a 60mph main road). If I’m not accelerating hard it’s less than one “shove-thunk” per second or I can accelerate very gently and not have it at all, it’s also only when accelerating.

Comment

Mines when accelerating but mainly 2nd and 3rd gear around 1500rpm to 3000rpm then stops, hard acceleration is bad very loud and sounds like it comes from center or back sometimes front very weird

Comment

Yaza, does yours sound the same in all gears, increasing with the engine revs then dropping back when you change gear and increasing again, or does it increase with the speed of the vehicle before disappearing?
                          If it’s with the vehicle speed it’s something rotational that’s tied in to the wheel speed so could be the prop shaft, maybe a bearing as others have suggested, and the noise is going away when the Haldex disengages at higher speeds (I assume it does for economy purposes) and there’s less torsion on the propshaft. This is assuming you’ve got a 4wd version.

If the sound is the same in each gear it’s probably deeper and darker than that. Others will be able to advise better, I’ve only had the car a few weeks, still ironing the issues out.

Comment

mine starts off when the engine is at most torque if i feather the accelerator pedal i can make it not happen, if i press it even slightly more it will make that noise more with speed but once its gets up to speed 35+mph its more a a vibration then a knock, also i can drive at constant speed and there is no noise or vibration at cruise speed its fine just when car requires torque i feel, its most in 2nd and 3rd gear low rpm.its like a rotational knock higher rpm a vibration, its confusing because it sometimes feels front end at low rpm some times rear end at higher rpm cheers im thinking might be transfer case will change oil and inspect on sunday cheers

Comment

Also to add mine if i release accelerator it goes away and back when i press it again

Comment

Working...
                              X