glow plugs - common fault??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glow plugs - common fault??

Just heard 'glow plugs are a common fault with diesel engines'.... never heard this myself, I know they wear out after a good few years or 80-100k miles, but do they suffer - as a COMMON fault, from from or in relation to - faulty wiring, excessive heat, or fuel leaking from the injector??

I don't think any of these are common faults,and surely, not a glow plug fault, if anything - faulty wiring or faulty injectors?...

Anyone have problems constantly with glow plugs,... other than the HUGE price to pay for pressure ones of course?....

First I've heard of this 'common fault'....

Only ever had to replace 1 over my 3 insignia ownerships,,and this was my 1st one,,it failed with less than 50k on clock

Hope the current ones last,as all 4 are the dear ones
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
      Only ever had to replace 1 over my 3 insignia ownerships,,and this was my 1st one,,it failed with less than 50k on clock

Hope the current ones last,as all 4 are the dear ones
      same here,... had 2 CDTI Vectra C's,.. owned one from 2009 to 2019 - changed 4 plugs for the 1st time just before I sold it to my pal - at 11 years old and 180k miles, my other didn't need any at all, changed all 4 in my Facelift A insignia at 75k - mainly as my wife inherited the car, but they were over 4 years old, no problems starting etc but the fault code was showing. Never seen or heard of these being a 'common fault' with diesel engines..... I think it must be 'facebook mechanic' syndrome

Comment

When I was first looking at mine to buy it had a SVS message up and the salesman said that that would be repaired before delivery---and it turned out to be a glowplug down---asked the techs at the VX garage that we use for our lass's car and they said it was quite a common fault---more so with the sensor type-----Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
          When I was first looking at mine to buy it had a SVS message up and the salesman said that that would be repaired before delivery---and it turned out to be a glowplug down---asked the techs at the VX garage that we use for our lass's car and they said it was quite a common fault---more so with the sensor type-----Dave
          how old / mileage on the plugs/car?

Comment

Car was on 64k----63 plate so it happens----Dave

Comment

Glow plugs they are of a robust nature , the common faults are either the relay or the temperature sensor which is normally part of the cars main thermostat.
              The only wiring issue I have come across is normally with the injectors , esp injector number 2 , but I know on other GM cars there is a revised loom .
              There is a test involving a multimeter and resistance values , which I put on another thread .to assertain if the glow plugs are good or goosed .
              The only thing with thease pressure type ones are that the pressure part goes faulty and can lead the SVS message because it senses the position of the cylinder so I sense when it's at TDC .
              On my diesel cars I've only had one set go down and that was at 110000 miles .
              A load of useless information I know .!

.K.M.P.C.U
              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

so far then.... not really a 'common fault. It's a wear an tear item... 64k is fine in my opinion for one to last,... mine appeared to be an issue at 75k, made no noticable difference to the car but the service warning came on. Any faults noted so far are from other itmes causing the failure, not the plugs.

Comment

Working...
                X