Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Traction Issue

Hi guys,

Newbie here and a bit of a novice so please be gentle!

So I've got a 2014 Insignia 2.0 SRI VXLine Ecoflex. A few months ago I had the intermittent issue of the ESC and ABS light coming on which was "resolved" by the family mechanic by removing a metal ring that had perished on the pickup bearings. I've always trusted this mechanic but removing and not replacing something...I'm not sure! Ever since then, things have been fine, although I've never been that happy with the steering response, it's always felt loose/light to me.

This past couple of days the steering/traction has become ridiculous! Going round a roundabout at relatively low speed, I lost traction on the front but managed to correct it instantly. At first I put this down to damp conditions and possibly something on the road...oil etc. until today! I have to use country roads to get to and from work and today's journey felt like driving on ice/on the verge of aquaplaning even though the roads are dry albeit cold!

I had two brand new decent mid-range tyres fitted a couple of months ago and had the wheel alignment done. Pressures and tread are good all the way round and traction control is on!

I plan on visiting a garage tomorrow, but want to go armed with some ideas on what it might be. So if any one has any thoughts, that would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys!

Al

the front wheel speed sensors are prone to failure,,easy ,and in expensive fix
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Not sure what part you refer to as the 'pick up bearings'. As far as I know the wheel bearing incorporates a magnetic encoder ring into the bearing seal (replacing the old reluctor ring) which provides alternate north/south pole info for the traction control /ABS. I remember cleaning off rusted bits of disc off mine. But removing this would be a serious no no and throw up lots of codes. Its also part of the bearing seal so the bearing wont last long.

Comment

Have you tried driving the car with traction control turned off ?
        Or could be the tyres them selfs .

.K.M.P.C.U
        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

First thing I will ask you what brand of tyres [some can be good and some can be awful] have you put on and did this mechanic remove any parts--if he did I would of thought that you would have warnings lights on the dash---if no warnings then my money would be on the tyres---plus if you are not too happy with that mechanic then you should certainly look for another--don't go to a Vauxhall dealer as they will take your eyes out--what you want is a good independent garage or one that has been recommended---whereabouts are you as someone on here might point you in the right direction----Dave

Comment

Working...
          X