What dash cam's are people using!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
    Looking to change my front and rear dash cams---mine has a habit of switching itself off for periods of time[Mio MIVUE]--have been looking at Nextbase so really need some recommendations -------Thanks Dave
    In Vauxhalls the ignition briefly cuts power to the 12v and other electrics as the key is turned, which can confuse a dashcam into thinking the power has been switched off and that it's time for the dashcam to switch off.
    Quite a lot of dashcams don't like being in modern Vauxhalls.
    My Insignia has a Street Guardian SGZC12RC which isn't troublesome because the firmware is set to always power back up again after brief power interruption.

Sometimes dashcams record erratically if the memory card is too slow, failing, fake or simply incompatible with the way the cam works. Also a failing or loose power cable can cause erratic behaviour. The best memory cards for dashcams seem to be Samsung and some of the worst seem to be Kingston despite their high 'on paper' speed rating.

Comment

As for Nextbase; I regard them as spending too much on marketing and not enough on build quality.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
        As for Nextbase; I regard them as spending too much on marketing and not enough on build quality.
        Can't say I agree. I have 2, one for over 2 years now and they both work perfectly fine, especially the latest model which is actually an improvement. Only real gripe is the battery life if not connected permanently but I am pretty sure no dashcams are leagues ahead of others in that regard anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
          Can't say I agree. I have 2, one for over 2 years now and they both work perfectly fine, especially the latest model which is actually an improvement. Only real gripe is the battery life if not connected permanently but I am pretty sure no dashcams are leagues ahead of others in that regard anyway.
          Do you regularly check to be sure the all-important last file (end of journey) is saved?
          Nextbase cams have a long history of not correctly saving the last file due to their backup battery not holding enough charge. There are many complaints from former Nextbase owners that when they had an accident the last file was not there or was corrupted.
          There have also been many grumbles about heat-related focus-shift/blurred video due to cheap plastic lens/sensor mounts used and the alignment changing if the cam has been running for a prolonged time or in hot weather.

I have experienced both myself. I used to be a dashcam beta tester (I declined to test for Nextbase when asked a few years ago because I dislike their products).

Comment

Al the above is present on most cams. RAC cam has started to skip recording sometimes. This seems to be the fact the insignia likes to cut power on starting. It's actually made my proof cam, who don't have the best reviews. I have been more than happy with it over the last four years.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
            Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
              Do you regularly check to be sure the all-important last file (end of journey) is saved?
              Nextbase cams have a long history of not correctly saving the last file due to their backup battery not holding enough charge. There are many complaints from former Nextbase owners that when they had an accident the last file was not there or was corrupted.
              There have also been many grumbles about heat-related focus-shift due to cheap plastic lens/sensor mounts used and the alignment changing if the cam has been running for a prolonged time or in hot weather.
              No disrespect but just to clarify. Like many things in life, they certainly aren't perfect. I wouldn't recommend them if I wasn't using them daily without major issues. I have actually had some problems with corrupted files but have since pinned it to certain memory cards rather than the dashcam which is all too common. I can't speak for other owners or other brands but I do indeed check mine regularly and not yet noticed anything as you've mentioned above but I'll keep an eye out for that if that's indeed the case.

Comment

Thanks lads I think I might get some decent memory cards---seems some are not very compatable-----Dave

Comment

Hey guys, Halfrauds have just knocked £38 off the 522, down to £111. Am about to order one, but not going for the Nextbase micro SD card (£35 for 64mb), getting a 128gb U3 class 10 from Amazon for £13. As the hardwire kit is £20 but Halfrauds charge £30 for fitting may as well get them to fit it too. Might even go for the rear camera module for another £36.
                  2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                  Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
                    Hey guys, Halfrauds have just knocked £38 off the 522, down to £111. Am about to order one, but not going for the Nextbase micro SD card (£35 for 64mb), getting a 128gb U3 class 10 from Amazon for £13. As the hardwire kit is £20 but Halfrauds charge £30 for fitting may as well get them to fit it too. Might even go for the rear camera module for another £36.
                    Look at very. £159 for 522, case, sd card, and rear camera.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

It's too bloody cold this time of year to be messing about routing cables, so I went for the Halfrauds offer - £177 for the 522GW, rear module and fitting. (Bought a128gb u3 card on Amazon for£13)
                      First impressions are that the camera is great, the Alexa function need you to switch the default assistant on your phone to Alexa, and the SOS function needs you to run the battery-hungry MyNextbase app on your phone. Maybe ok for long journeys, but won't bother for pootling about.
                      Quality of the footage is excellent, but the battery doesn't seem to be charging to full, maybe it will on a long journey?
                      2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                      Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Working...
                      X