air con dismantle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air con dismantle

Ive the joyous task of rebuilding the front end of the son-in-laws insignia. It arrives this weekend. Having never had a car with air con, nor worked on one with working air con. Is it ok to remove the air con pipes off the rad? or do I need to empty the gas? if so where do I find the valve?
    Paul

it is illegal to empty the gas into the atmosphere
    Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

I've got a feeling that the gas in the Aircon is HCFC, and as such should not be simply vented into the atmosphere. HSE has some info here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Ukrq7LYATdrX6_
      2018 1.5T SRi Nav
      Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

What years this insignia?
        Should have a label on the bonnet slam panel outlining the refrigerant used .
        But R12 ( which it won't be)
        And R134A ( which seems more likely)
        Are ozone depletion gases .

.K.M.P.C.U
        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Chances are with front end damage there is possibility that something has fractured on the aircon system therefore might be empty anyway. What the guys are saying is correct about it being illegal but it is known that there is natural leakage hence the need to have system refilled every year or so, also when cars are in accidents it is released into atmosphere anyway

Comment

Thanks for the replies peeps. I had a feeling this was going to be a pain. Once the car arrives I`ll have a look at the slam panel. I couldn't see any fractures on the pipe work though the rad pack was well and truly squashed against the engine, so maybe gasses have been emptied. Until I get my mitts on said car, I`ll know more.

Comment

Working...
            X