Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F40 gearbox

Hi All,

Can I ask, does anyone have bother from cold with notchy gear changes on the F40 gearbox, when I mean notchy the car has been stood all week, jumped in it yesterday teatime and 1st was none existent reverse the same, its just like it had clutch drag, now my old Saab 93 1.9 150 was the same when the cold weather hit but that had done 170,000, but it wasn't as bad as this, and this has only done 44,000, basically I was having to force the gearstick to get it into gear.
    Switch it off and gear selection no problem, its just as if its picking up on the input shaft where it goes into the flywheel, I say this as the clutch pedal feels fine and the bite point is well off the floor, or if it was a clutch problem you would know if you no what I mean. Its been no problem when its been warm weather, or warmer should I say, just found it very odd yesterday, it was notchy this morning but I know its a characteristic of this box when cold.

I have seen similiar posts about this before, it's sometimes suggested to get the gear linkages greased and that may cure it.

Comment

I take it you mean where the cables attach to the top of the box, I'm going to have a look tomorrow, just find it strange turn off the engine and you can select the gears fine.

Comment

mine was a bit notchy when cold---I sprayed the linkage with a decent lube spray[not WD40] and I lifted the gear stick gaitor and sprayed in there too---much better but i'm sure its one of those VX problems---my Vectra with the F17 was the same-------Dave

Comment

Mine is the same.

There was a thing on the vectra where you changed the oil and it helped it a little. I’m going todo mine and add some decent branded oil

Comment

I know where you are coming from, but cant understand why I can select gears ok with engine switched off, its as though the gearbox is still been driven with the clutch depressed,
            I have found some information about the F40 and to be honest have stopped reading it, its enough to give you nightmares. Just don't want to start emptying my bank balance
            Like I said the clutch feels fine but it has all the hallmarks of a ford gearbox on a 2.8 Capri I had, the carrier bearing inside the flywheel that carried the input shaft for the gearbox seized
            and you had no chance of changing gear, it seized that badly it was like having a straight through drive.
            its a keeper so I'll let it develop I think.

Comment

I've read something about Fuchs titan, and that's a Getrag engineer that has quoted that.

Comment

My Focus was crap in frost until it had warmed up, BMW 5 series the same, probably others too, best way to overcome it, blip the throttle and hold gearstick against the gate until it pops in.
                Perhaps there are issues with modern oil ?

Comment

On the 9-3 as you know yourself they were a b*****d 1/2/3 gears and the good old gearbox turret was available in a kit form to replace.but you knew if it was gearbox turret because you could not centralise nuteral.
                  But there was a bulletin years ago about putting some Redline 75w 80 (i.e. 1.8 fill capacity,- 1.5 of normal gearbox oil then 0.3 of redline .or fuchs titan ( litres is the volume of measurement I'm using )
                  But as said above the gear linkage and ends of the Bowden cable requires periodic lubing,
                  I use copper slip on both my 9-3 linkages and dose the job for me .

.K.M.P.C.U
                  YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

lizard-t,
                    Are you on about where the cable pushes on to the knuckle. are they still pop off like the Saab, haven't looked to be honest.
                    Yes my Saab was the same, bought the kit drilled out the rivet and centralising was sorted, whish id have kept it to be honest, brilliant car, just wanted something newer got a small wind fall and decided on the insignia, thing is when I bought it a TTID Aero Griffin appeared on Auto Trader in Scotland, one owner and 10,000 miles
                    if id seen it earlier I would have been on a train, .

Comment

Still love my Saabs had them since 2003 ,had a 2.2 linear , 4 150 vector sports then insignia
                      At the moment got a 2008 150 vector sport mapped
                      And the crazed turboX
                      I did have an insignia for a bit but our love affair with each other went sour
                      Chopped in a perfect 9-3 for that .
                      But yes back to the subject yes where the cable pushes onto the knuckle.

.K.M.P.C.U
                      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Working...
                      X