Boot won't shut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot won't shut

Evening all, could someone help with a strange boot lid problem I seem to have developed this morning?
    No issues before but got in the car this morning to a "Boot lid open" warning on the dash.
    For some reason it won't stay properly shut and won't lock either, I was driving to work and could just here it clunking about so now my cars all locked up but anyone can just open my boot.

Sounds like the lock mechanism has failed, I had this on my old Vectra, replaced the lock mechanism & that solved the problem. It shouldn't be the external release button as if this fails the boot won't open, it'll stay shut & you can only open it if you've got the boot button on the key remote or the button on the drivers door (year/model dependant), or you climb in the boot & use the manual release method, which may work in reverse so you can lock your bootlid until you can replace the lock.

Comment

Have a look at this video from 1:25, may help you latch the boot so it can't be opened once you've locked the car. Just do the reverse of what he does with the lock, hopefully it'll work, apologies if it doesn't.

Comment

I had a similar issue, display said boot was open, but it was stuck shut! Some days it would just open like nothing was wrong and the warning would go away, but mostly it stayed stuck shut with a warning that it was open. I took the lock out, took it apart put it back together and it hasn't done it since, so if you don't mind tinkering you could try that before spending any money.
        2011 2.0 cdti ecoflex excnav
        honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Comment

Agree with Kentishbloke, the thatgermanguy YouTube video is the hound's round things, get a replacment lock from eBay and it's a half hour job.
          2018 1.5T SRi Nav
          Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Oops!
            2018 1.5T SRi Nav
            Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Thanks guys.
              That video is a great help but with the current weather we're currently having in Manchester at the moment Imight just send it in the garage for them to do.

I think it probably is the switch that's gone after watching that.

Thanks everyone

Comment

Just a quick update.
                I've bought a new switch but the mechanic says it's not the switch, he said it's the full mechanism with the grab part that needs replacing as it's not latching on to the metal bar that's fixed to the bottom of the boot when closed.
                It's starting to get on my nerves now as inside my boot is starting to smell damp and the boot keeps bouncing about when I'm driving

Comment

Originally posted by Axelrodi View Post
                  Just a quick update.
                  I've bought a new switch but the mechanic says it's not the switch, he said it's the full mechanism with the grab part that needs replacing as it's not latching on to the metal bar that's fixed to the bottom of the boot when closed.
                  It's starting to get on my nerves now as inside my boot is starting to smell damp and the boot keeps bouncing about when I'm driving
                  It seems you might have misunderstood because of the video. As previously mentioned, the lock mechanism probably failed rather than the switch, which normally wouldn't allow you to open the boot, rather than the other way round. Upside is that you have a new switch and they are a common problem. Hope you get it sorted though

Comment

Ah right, thanks for the info.
                    Just bought 1 from Ebay for £28.

Do you know if it's the same procedure to replace it as it is for the switch?

Comment

Originally posted by Axelrodi View Post
                      Ah right, thanks for the info.
                      Just bought 1 from Ebay for £28.

Do you know if it's the same procedure to replace it as it is for the switch?
                      I would say yes, follow the instructions as he has done and replace the switch anyway since you already have it. I've never replaced the lock but if you look on the vid at 4:40, you can see the lock just in view at the bottom. Looks to be two torx screws holding it in place. Obviously there is likely another plug to unplug on the mechanism but it seems easy enough. Good luck

Comment

Fingers crossed, thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
                        X