Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Samyam View Post
    What are these cheap hids like? I’ve always gone for £40 upwards
    I've had them in for nearly 2 years....never had any issues at all.

And the ones I had in my Vectra are still in the Vectra working fine.

Comment

I'd go LED with a preface - firstly HID are illegal, they are designed also for projector lenses and not reflectors (which the preface has) and despite having modified bulbs, they just glare oncoming cars. I've even fitted LED into my wife's facelift VXLine which has projectors, work much better than HID. I also have LED in my Grandpsort - excellent.

Comment

LEDs have come a long way in the past couple of years. They're a lot brighter than they used to be and are now projecting further on the road (Easily equaling HIDs when used in reflector lights). This will cause issues in a pre facelift because unlike the Grand Sport's reflector lights, the pre facelift reflector lights don't have the metal sheath surrounding the bulb which would give the beam a cut off. This will cause LEDs to be too bright and dazzle oncoming and preceding drivers.
        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
          LEDs have come a long way in the past couple of years. They're a lot brighter than they used to be and are now projecting further on the road (Easily equaling HIDs when used in reflector lights). This will cause issues in a pre facelift because unlike the Grand Sport's reflector lights, the pre facelift reflector lights don't have the metal sheath surrounding the bulb which would give the beam a cut off. This will cause LEDs to be too bright and dazzle oncoming and preceding drivers.
          basically then... both LEDs and HIDs dazzle on these old reflector lenses?! Have to stick with the candles or upgrade to Osrams or Philips Nightbreakers

Comment

Well....there you go.
            I say hids.....chewy says LEDs.

Marko says LEDs then shoots them down.

You either persevere with better H7 bulbs........or you get gaffer tape and 2 off these......
            Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l225.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	243956
            And stick them on the bonnet
            Last edited by RBH; 20-11-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

If it were me. I'd buy those 2xite after market replacement headlights which have projectors and stick HIDs or LEDs in those. Failing that if you do go ahead putting HIDs in the current lights I'd try a HID kit with H7R bulbs made for reflectors so they hopefully cut down on dazzling other road users. I'd also recommend 4300k and deffo no more than 5000k max in them so It doesnt bring to much attention to yourself.

The most important thing if fitting HIDs is to get H7R bulbs....Not H7 bulbs. H7R (R = Reflector) bulbs have part of the bulb painted so it helps give a cut off.
              2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                Well....there you go.

You either persevere with better H7 bulbs........or you get gaffer tape and 2 off these......
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]2778[/ATTACH]
                had HID in the facelift for 4 years, really really good unless you want to flash your lights in the daytime being as they are the same bulb and take 30 seconds to get to full temp. If I had a preface, with the technical issues, I'd just go top rated halogens I think

Comment

Well....there you go.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2778[/ATTACH]
                  I wasn't bigging either up or shooting any down. I was giving him all the facts.... You, Chewy and myself were giving advice from 3 different type of headlight.

I was explaining the diferences, especially between the GS reflectors and pre facelift reflectors. The metal sheath in the GS's reflectors allows more options than the pre facelift which doesn't have the sheath so relies on the bulb alone.

I'm thick at pigsh!t on most things but I've spent enough money on bulbs testing different types to give me some knowledge on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewy1971 View Post
                    had HID in the facelift for 4 years, really really good unless you want to flash your lights in the daytime being as they are the same bulb and take 30 seconds to get to full temp. If I had a preface, with the technical issues, I'd just go top rated halogens I think
                    For some reason, my hids flash instantly.
                    I'm surprised at that as I had hids in the high beam of the Vectra and they took ages....but the Insignia is instant.

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                      I wasn't bigging either up or shooting any down. I was giving him all the facts.... You, Chewy and myself were giving advice from 3 different type of headlight.

I was explaining the diferences, especially between the GS reflectors and pre facelift reflectors. The metal sheath in the GS's reflectors allows more options than the pre facelift which doesn't have the sheath so relies on the bulb alone.

I'm thick at pigsh!t on most things but I've spent enough money on bulbs testing different types to give me some knowledge on the subject.
                      Your loaded tho.....u can afford it

Comment

Your loaded tho.....u can afford it
                        I wish

I found the HIDs flashed once ok in the facelift but didn't flash very bright after that if I did a double flash in quick succession. Or if the person you initially flashed wasn't looking so you needed to flash again.....Again found that out from lots of testing against a garage wall.

Comment

For some reason, my hids flash instantly.
                          I'm surprised at that as I had hids in the high beam of the Vectra and they took ages....but the Insignia is instant.
                          they do flash but then dim in an instant - looks like the headlights are having some sort of electrical epileptic fit. My wife wondered why people wouldn't move when she was flashing her lights - problem solved now with the LEDs in there

Comment

What are the leds you have and have you the same year as mine 2011 with h7 bulbs

Comment

Originally posted by andy66 View Post
                              What are the leds you have and have you the same year as mine 2011 with h7 bulbs
                              No, the H7 LEDs Chewy and myself have are in the Insignia B 2017 onwards. The lights in the Insignia B have a metal sheath surrounding the bulb. You car is the pre facelift Insignia A which although it also has H7 bulbs. The lights don't have a metal sheath surrounding the bulb. The metal sheath gives the beam a cut off so it Doesn't dazzle other road users. LEDs in yours will dazzle others.

Comment

Search eBay for P1 FCO bulbs

Comment

Working...
                                X