Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Cdti Died on Motorway....

Ok,

Last night on the way home my Insignia completely died on the M69... lights off the lot!

Background Info:

I had been in the car since around 4pm and done around 150 miles (it was running lovely).

Just accelarated off the roundabout upto motorway speed. Steering lock came on. Power went out. Forced into the hard shoulder.

Earlier in the day 'Service Stabilitrak' Warning had come on but I had just left work and the Traction control came on due to mud on the road. it went off after stopping and resetting the engine.

As the steering lock came on the same message reappeared.

After stopping everything worked but it wouldn't turn over. (Like it was stuck)

I was recovered to home.

So far today we have tried the following:

Jump start. (Now tries to start but doesn't quite manage).
    Checked all connections to battery.
    Checked all Fuses under the bonnet.
    Removed and cleaned cam shaft sensor.
    All belts are intact and fine.

Turning over it fires but shudders heavily.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Sounds like the dreaded engine seize

Comment

Originally posted by Plym Ian View Post
      Sounds like the dreaded engine seize
      I'd really hope not!

Its full history and has not long been serviced - Full service every year
      Oil / Filter changes every 6 months and has not long had Cambelt Kit etc done.

Ive known the car for over 3 years before buying it and its been faultless and meticulously maintained for the past 6 years!

Ive got a mate coming to look at it later (mechanic ) so hopefully he'll be able to figure it out.

Comment

This happened to my Focus, it was crankshaft.

Comment

Originally posted by minisprint4230 View Post
          This happened to my Focus, it was crankshaft.
          Yeah I did think it might be the crank shaft sensor. That was my next port of call until....

My mate came round popped a battery booster on it, depressed the throttle to the floor and started it straight up.

I was gobsmacked! (We'd checked the battery etc). I'd had the battery disconnected for a few hours before he came so don't know if it had perhaps reset / cleared any faults.

Did a whole window up and down thing but now seems fine. Driven it and runs sweet. Checked all the usual with the voltmeter and the alternator is charging the battery as it should. No faults are showing.

So none the wiser...

Comment

Check for corroded earth cable, cables can corrode inside the plastic covers.

Comment

Think I would be looking at a failing battery----you might want to get it tested-------Dave

Comment

Originally posted by tony1702 View Post
                Ok,

Last night on the way home my Insignia completely died on the M69... lights off the lot!

Background Info:

I had been in the car since around 4pm and done around 150 miles (it was running lovely).

Just accelarated off the roundabout upto motorway speed. Steering lock came on. Power went out. Forced into the hard shoulder.

Earlier in the day 'Service Stabilitrak' Warning had come on but I had just left work and the Traction control came on due to mud on the road. it went off after stopping and resetting the engine.

As the steering lock came on the same message reappeared.

After stopping everything worked but it wouldn't turn over. (Like it was stuck)

I was recovered to home.

So far today we have tried the following:

Jump start. (Now tries to start but doesn't quite manage).
                Checked all connections to battery.
                Checked all Fuses under the bonnet.
                Removed and cleaned cam shaft sensor.
                All belts are intact and fine.

Turning over it fires but shudders heavily.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
                Sadly this sounds exactly the same as what happened to my Saab. I went through similar warnings first and the engine was seized. It sucks, hope this isn't the case for you, but it really sounds like it
                2011 2.0 cdti ecoflex excnav
                honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Comment

Working...
                X