Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't drive fast through a puddle in the insignia a!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't drive fast through a puddle in the insignia a!

So today I learned the hard way, my road gets flooded every year, it's unavoidable, in my first car if you went through too slowly the water would get in the car and cause the belts to squeak and slide. Anyway, I'm used to just powering through it. Today I tackled it for the first time in the Insignia and had a bit of a shock. I could hear a noise after going up and down with the revs, I assumed something was sliding so I slowed down to a stop and heard some knocking sound. I jumped out to find this!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191208_125704.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	249436
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191208_125710.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	249437
    Turns out the water forced its way behind the wheel arch liner and rolled the whole thing up on top of the wheel, all pop clips are gone! All gone from the other side too but luckily it was still where it should be. Took a lot of force and a bruised shin to unfold it, now waiting on an Amazon order tomorrow of a whole load of replacement pop clips
    2011 2.0 cdti ecoflex excnav
    honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Your liner may have been loose before you went through the flood water. Went Norfolk for a week in my tin tent. On the A47 Peterbouourgh bypass in heavy rain, very dark, had slowed down a bit to below 50 because of the rain, when I hit flood water in the inside lane. couldn't move out as I was being overtaken. Didn't see it, Literately sailed through. No damage. had a few dash lights flicker a bit.
    Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Should be 3 x screws either side holding the liner to the bumper(Torx heads),just had mine out to do fog lamp bulbs.
      Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
      Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Dave71 View Post
        Your liner may have been loose before you went through the flood water. Went Norfolk for a week in my tin tent. On the A47 Peterbouourgh bypass in heavy rain, very dark, had slowed down a bit to below 50 because of the rain, when I hit flood water in the inside lane. couldn't move out as I was being overtaken. Didn't see it, Literately sailed through. No damage. had a few dash lights flicker a bit.
        True, the one that lost all its clips but didn't come off, I had removed and put back on a few weeks before, never touched the other one
        honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
          Should be 3 x screws either side holding the liner to the bumper(Torx heads),just had mine out to do fog lamp bulbs.
          There is on the front, it was the back half of the liner on both sides, those are only the plastic pop clips, luckily the fronts stayed firmly on.

Comment

The first pic looked to me as a metal tube at first!,Have the liners gone back to shape?
            Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
            Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
              The first pic looked to me as a metal tube at first!,Have the liners gone back to shape?
              Haha that was my first impression too at the time! It took a lot to unfold but it literally popped straight back into shape, apart from all the pop clips being missing you wouldn't know it had happened haha

Comment

Ah I've had the same happen to me (on the same side too) after going through a puddle but it was the front of the liner squashed against the wheel. Thought it was a twig that got stuck and when I got to my destination found it all folded up behind the wheel.

Got a pack of 10 push pin clip things and replaced the now missing one from the front :P

EDIT: Here is the link

Comment

Hmmm my rear arch cover is missing the bottom clip, anyone got a link for them. So many similar looking ones all different sizes.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                  Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by leearnold89 View Post
                    Ah I've had the same happen to me (on the same side too) after going through a puddle but it was the front of the liner squashed against the wheel. Thought it was a twig that got stuck and when I got to my destination found it all folded up behind the wheel.

Got a pack of 10 push pin clip things and replaced the now missing one from the front :P

EDIT: Here is the link
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Vauxh...r/391382355496
                    Mine turned up today, got 40 just in case haha

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                      Hmmm my rear arch cover is missing the bottom clip, anyone got a link for them. So many similar looking ones all different sizes.
                      I went for these, they work
                      40pcs Wheel Arch Trim Clips One... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BFP5N...p_mob_ap_share

Comment

mines loose on the same side, will be replacing the clips too

Comment

Working...
                        X