Dreaded low oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaded low oil pressure

Hi I've recently bought an insignia 2.0 cdti Sri 160 a20dth 2009.
    Oil low pressure warning has came on recently twice on cold start up.
    I'm wondering if there is an easy way to know what gearbox is fitted and if it has the cut outs for access to the 2 torx bolts without taking undertray off?
    It's 6 speed manual

The undertray will have to come off, I would think that you have the F40 box but that doesn't mean that you have the cutouts in the gearbox, some do and some don't, where are you based - - - - - Dave

Comment

Hi thanks Dave for quick reply. I'm based in Glasgow.
      So undertray has to come off to inspect for these holes �� not the best weather for getting under a car ��

Comment

And if you do a search on here regarding low oil pressure you will see what needs to be done because if you ignore it you will be needing a new engine, one garage is recommended and he is based in Keighley, I've had mine done and a few other members are having there's done as it's just not worth taking the chance---Dave

Comment

As I say some have some don't, but this fella Frank who is an expert with this job has it all done in 2 hours and he includes an oil and filter change, top man and worth the run out - - - Dave

Comment

I'm quite scared of driving it to be honest.

I'm guessing this could have already caused damage?

There's a lot of horror stories about this I've found on google.

What puzzles me most is it happened on Friday morning switched off immediately after warning showed had a look at wires etc gave it another go as nothing looked suspicious and no fault came up.
            So used the car for that day I would say roughly 20 25 mile covered. Parked it up over the weekend then used it Monday no warning present till this morning.
            I feel able to complete this job as long as the gearbox doesnt have to be removed I'm just worried that damage is already done.
            What kind of signs should I look out for damage?
            Any advise would be kindly received

Comment

Wires????

Well if you got the warning this morning.....and Glasgow wasn't cold this morning, then I certainly wouldn't be running it.

Comment

Pressure sensor normally connects to wires if I'm not mistaken. Have limited knowledge of this engine though so could be wrong.
                There was ice on the car if that makes any difference on windows etc.
                I've managed to locate a dealership who his it in stock so think the best approach would be to attempt this tomorrow. Fingers crossed I have this cut out on gearbox.
                I'm guessing it's not though with it being an early model.

Comment

If you have the low oil pressure warning come upon the screen....then it's the oil seal that's on its way out......not a sensor.
                  That's why Dave was saying about the cut outs on the box.

Comment

This.....
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	mqdefault.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	244102

Comment

Its not just a case of removing the undertray and dropping the sump----there is a host of things to be done before that----when was the last time it had an oil and filter change and what oil was used----this thing about long life oil and only change it once a year really is bad advice from VX---must be changed at least twice a year---and only with dexos 2 oil-------Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
                        Its not just a case of removing the undertray and dropping the sump----there is a host of things to be done before that----when was the last time it had an oil and filter change and what oil was used----this thing about long life oil and only change it once a year really is bad advice from VX---must be changed at least twice a year---and only with dexos 2 oil-------Dave
                        Dave......The OP might have no idea if the service history as he's stated he's only just bought it.

Low pressure warning might have be the reason someone sold it on......unfortunately, the new owner finds out the hard way.

Comment

The lad at the garage had to drill mine out[63 reg] but its just pot luck to be honest----took him minutes---but as I say he knows these engines inside out------Dave

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                            Dave......The OP might have no idea if the service history as he's stated he's only just bought it.

Low pressure warning might have be the reason someone sold it on......unfortunately, the new owner finds out the hard way.
                            Hello Rab---totally agree----its just a pity that we aren't all honest like us-------Dave

Comment

Yeah that's what I thought.
                              I was meaning when it first happened on Friday I thought it could have been a faulty sensor not a seal as I wasn't aware of a seal between pick up and pump.
                              When it happened again this morning I first thought could be the pump. After a Google search it seems it's the seal that causes this issue by many different factors.
                              The holes I refer to is for knowledge of doing the job myself as removing the gearbox etc in the street in this weather would be to much of a challenge to be honest.

Yeah that looks like the seal I found on eBay to get the part number which thankfully I had as dealers had no clue what I was even talking about.
                              Thanks everyone for the replies

Comment

Working...
                              X