Instrument cluster not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument cluster not working

Hi, I just bought a 59 plate 2.0 Ecoflex estate. The instrument cluster was working the day I bought it, but isn't now - I didn't drive it for a week or so until insurance cover started.

When I switch the car on, the cluster works fine. All the displays and menus at work, the dials for fuel and temp read correctly - speed and rpm are at zero, ofc - and the controls for it function right.

When I then start the engine, the cluster lights up like a Christmas tree and the needles on the gauges swing to max and back - I assume all part of the normal self test. Very briefly the dials work, then half the lights come on, the needles drop to zero, etc. It seems to reboot or reconnect every few seconds - the whole thing loses power for a sec, by the look of it, then comes back on.

I removed the instrument cluster and checked the plug, but it looks fine. Sprayed with contact cleaner, no change.

What's the next step? I'm not used to cars with all these modern gizmos

My basic rule of thumb when faced with weird electrical issues is to check the earth points, but I'm not sure tha t applies to cars less than 20-30 years old...

Additionally, the rear screen demister, heated seats, and power boot have stopped working. Has it blown a fuse?

Originally posted by BodgeItAndScarper View Post
    Hi, I just bought a 59 plate 2.0 Ecoflex estate. The instrument cluster was working the day I bought it, but isn't now - I didn't drive it for a week or so until insurance cover started.

When I switch the car on, the cluster works fine. All the displays and menus at work, the dials for fuel and temp read correctly - speed and rpm are at zero, ofc - and the controls for it function right.

When I then start the engine, the cluster lights up like a Christmas tree and the needles on the gauges swing to max and back - I assume all part of the normal self test. Very briefly the dials work, then half the lights come on, the needles drop to zero, etc. It seems to reboot or reconnect every few seconds - the whole thing loses power for a sec, by the look of it, then comes back on.

I removed the instrument cluster and checked the plug, but it looks fine. Sprayed with contact cleaner, no change.

What's the next step? I'm not used to cars with all these modern gizmos

My basic rule of thumb when faced with weird electrical issues is to check the earth points, but I'm not sure tha t applies to cars less than 20-30 years old...

Additionally, the rear screen demister, heated seats, and power boot have stopped working. Has it blown a fuse?
    Start by disconnecting battery for a good half hour, then flow instructions on dash.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
        Start by disconnecting battery for a good half hour, then flow instructions on dash.
        Oi.......

Comment

Oi you!
          You have been a member here for less than two years, with just 4000 posts you find the time OI me!
          This is not the first time you have picked on my posts. Starting to think your jealous of my black car..... Maybe subconsciously its because you want black wheels like the other red Insignias?
          So to humour you I will refrain from posting anymore, will endeavour to buy you some black paint, and will start using Morning fresh to wash the car, and use black crayola crayons to wax.

[emoji1665][emoji106][emoji1665]

Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Oi you!
            You have been a member here for less than two years, with just 4000 posts you find the time OI me!
            This is not the first time you have picked on my posts. Starting to think your jealous of my black car..... Maybe subconsciously its because you want black wheels like the other red Insignias?
            So to humour you I will refrain from posting anymore, will endeavour to buy you some black paint, and will start using Morning fresh to wash the car, and use black crayola crayons to wax.

I cant answer that

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
              I cant answer that
              That has to be a first .
              Happy New Year bud.

Comment

That has to be a first .
                Happy New Year bud.
                and you pal

Comment

Oi you!

Will you stop fighting your battles using my black wheels!
                  2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                    im actually looking for new wheels...………..

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                      Ahem..... Did i mention you by name, by car, by location.
                      No.
                      Your not the only person with black wheels on a red Insignia.

Maybe you should stick to pastries [emoji848][emoji1644]

Jog on and a happy new year [emoji322][emoji1787]

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                        im actually looking for new wheels...………..
                        https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F352323616698

Comment

tut tut

Comment

Ahem..... Did i mention you by name, by car, by location.
                            No.
                            Your not the only person with black wheels on a red Insignia.

Maybe you should stick to pastries [emoji848][emoji1644]

Jog on and a happy new year [emoji322][emoji1787]
                            You know? You've been quite touchy of late. I put it down to your car issues but since you got them sorted, I think it's because I let the cat out of the bag about your big nipples! If you don't want stuff like that sharing with the community then don't send me the pics when you're drunk!
                            2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Noted. Perhaps a message along the lines of 'please introduce yourself in the welcome section before posting a question here' would help, because generally it wouldn't occur to me to do that until I've been on the forum for a bit.

I did start with 'hi'

Comment

Working...
                              X