Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.0 diesel elite automatic EGR cooler

Hi

I've got a split egr cooler housing. Ordered the replacement today and it should arrive tomorrow.

I've take off the battery, ecu and intercooler hose so I can get to the housing. I know I have 5 torx screws to remove on the housing but I cannot get the plugs off of the top of the unit. They have different release mechs on each one.

Does anyone know how to get these plugs off?

Can't find how to put a pic on here. Is it because I'm new on here?
    Last edited by Xospherix; 08-01-2020, 08:06 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake in title
    XospheriX
    My New Album Colours - https://linktr.ee/xospherix

When you write your message the option to add photos should be underneath.
    Do these plugs have light grey retainers in them?

Comment

There's a plug with red plastic on it. It has what looks like a little ramp I can put the screw driver I between and the ramp bit lifts a bit. It looks like there are 2 pronds that go into the plug. I'm not sure if I have to push in or pull out that rampy flap thing. I'm doing this on my phone and only have options to add a gif, or sticker but not upload a photo.
      XospheriX

Comment

Originally posted by Xospherix View Post
        There's a plug with red plastic on it. It has what looks like a little ramp I can put the screw driver I between and the ramp bit lifts a bit. It looks like there are 2 pronds that go into the plug. I'm not sure if I have to push in or pull out that rampy flap thing. I'm doing this on my phone and only have options to add a gif, or sticker but not upload a photo.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200108_223744.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	244248

Went on PC and found the image button on there.
        XospheriX

Comment

From what I can see there's a blue and a red flappy flangey thingamejig
          The red one I think you pull it up then it releases the plug
          The blue one the same then push the clip in .
          They are only to hold the plugs on tight .
          But don't shoot me if I'm wrong .
          Another way to upload images is via tapatalk i find that's simple for the likes of me .

.K.M.P.C.U
          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by Xospherix View Post
            Went on PC and found the image button on there.
            My default view gives this appearance:

Name:	Screenshot_20200109_074605_com.android.chrome.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	244251
            When you post a message, you get a toolbar above the text entry box with icons for emojis, pictures, text formatting etc.

Name:	Screenshot_20191231_111455.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	244249
            Attached Files
            Last edited by PeteH; 09-01-2020, 06:46 AM.
            2018 1.5T SRi Nav
            Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Hi
              I had to do mine between xmas and new year.
              also couldn't get that plug off. got the red clip undone but its like that is the socket and it plugs from underneath.
              in the end I left it together and with moving the plate about as required you can change it over.

also found it easier to drop the cooler housing and take out by the driveshaft rather than trying to take up as the heat exchanger in the housing still takes up most of the room.
              took the undertray and side tray off anyway as easier to get to the bottom screws that way.

its a bit fiddly of a job but not actually that difficult.

Comment

The red clip slides backwards then press the black tab in the middle of it. The blue clip slides to the right then press the black tab thats over the top.

Comment

Wow thanks guys that's really useful advice. This forum is great. I'm going to give it ago on Saturday.
                  XospheriX

Comment

Finished it and what a pig of a job. Just getting to the screws is a real pain in the backside.
                    Small tip for the centre deep screw in the housing I melted the end of a glue stick with a lighter and lightly glue the screw to my screw driver. Also used and old USB endoscope to fine the holes.

I was wondering why I had started it and wanted to give up at one point. It's not hard jus awkward.

Took me about 6 hours all in a but mainly because I ran out of light.

Thansk for your help.
                    XospheriX

Comment

Working...
                    X