Thick white smoke afetr changing egr cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thick white smoke afetr changing egr cooler

Hi i have had to swap out the egr cooler on my A20DTH since then i have thick white smoke or more like steam this is from start up even when cold i figured i hadn't changed the gasket between it and the block so i purchased a new one and fitted it but still the same. I also fitted a new tank with new gaskets which i took back off and added gasket seal to which also made no difference. i am at the end off my tether now the car drives fine other than an intermittent over boosting issue which it had already. Don't know if it makes a difference but it is egr deleted and pipe at the back of egr is blanked and gasket sealed. any idea's please.

Hello is this thick white smoke coming from underneath the bonnet or from the exhaust? .
    If from underneath the bonnet have you had a lookie to pin point area ?
    If from the exhaust are you loosing any coolant,
    Is it pressurising the header tank ?
    Did the car over heat before you changed the EGR cooler ?
    So many questions.

.K.M.P.C.U
    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Hi that would be a good start it is from the exhaust.
      Never over heated.
      Unsure if loosing coolant as still bleading the system from changing the cooler but i would say i have added more than i expected.
      And am sure the header tank is pressurising

Comment

First off I would suggest getting the car checked for possible head gasket.
        You can pick up head gasket test kits from local motor factors .
        But the way I see it.you are putting in more coolant than should be necessary.i don't know how long it's been since changing the egr cooler but .venting or bleeding the system you can do by running the car for 5-10 mins and loosen the header tank cap and any air pockets should rise to the top as per venting your heating system at home.
        Is the heater working ok ?
        Is the temperature gauge steady and heating up ok ?

.K.M.P.C.U
        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Yes the heaters still work well and Temp rises as it should.

Comment

not sure if its worth pointing out but the cooler was changed because when checking the vacuum pipes because of an overboosting issue the vacuum pipe snapped away from the cooler tank. Which was then being changed and 2 bolts snapped in the cooler housing. I did remove it and try drilling the bolts but made a mess of it so i purchased a second hand cooler and transfered everything from the original including fitting the new tank to it. I understand what you're saying about the head gasket but there is no other sign of this. I am thinking that the cooler i bought may have had an issue that was not identified before the sale. I have taken it to a local mechanic who said he doesn't think it is the head gasket but he could only suggest i strip it back down and double check everything and reseal it all which i have done. I am thinking now to buy another that has everything installed already and sway it out again.

Comment

Working...
            X