Timing belt, water pump and oil seal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt, water pump and oil seal.

I bit the bullet and booked my car in for the above before it self destructed. It was getting towards the end of the working day when the garage phoned. I was all happy thinking I would be getting the car back but, sadly that was not the nature of the call. Turns out that my car does not have cut outs in the bell housing?

Not a happy bunny but it is hardly the garages fault. At least I can tick a couple of big jobs off the potential problem list and I did negotiate some of the cost off the purchase price. One thing I am amazed at is how relatively unknown the oil seal problem is. Even in the trade it is not well known among independent mechanics.

2 10mm ish holes drilled in gearbox casing,,job sorted,had mine done last monday
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Hi there

I had timing belt and water pump some a few months back at the 106k

Car currently at mechanic for oil seal. My insignia didn't have the cut outs either and mechanic decided not to drill

Comment

It is a pain for sure but, ended up only costing £40 extra. I think he felt sorry for me. I have totally dodged a bullet though. He saved the seal to show me and it was petrified, absolutely rock hard. I think the mild winter so far has kept my car out of the scrap yard. Any amount of frosty nights and I think the seal would have gone. Again I am amazed at how such an obvious catastrophic fault is almost unknown outside of the community.

Comment

How old,and what mileage ??
          ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by andyjack View Post
            One thing I am amazed at is how relatively unknown the oil seal problem is. Even in the trade it is not well known among independent mechanics.
            Yeah you do wonder about that. Maybe with the actual failure people have left it too late and when the garage assesses it they just say the engine had it. Need new engine but have no idea what cause the issue in first place.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
              How old,and what mileage ??
              Its a late 2013 facelift with 105000 on the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                Yeah you do wonder about that. Maybe with the actual failure people have left it too late and when the garage assesses it they just say the engine had it. Need new engine but have no idea what cause the issue in first place.
                Yes I am sure you are right. When faced with a obviously trashed bottom end how many people would pay for an autopsy to find out the cause of death? My mechanic did say he wondered why they were prone to bottom end failure. I think it is safe to say he now knows.

Comment

Originally posted by andyjack View Post
                  Yes I am sure you are right. When faced with a obviously trashed bottom end how many people would pay for an autopsy to find out the cause of death? My mechanic did say he wondered why they were prone to bottom end failure. I think it is safe to say he now knows.
                  Yeah too much hassle and costly for them to find out. Least your mechanic knows now

Comment

morning all

just got mine back from mechanic last night. When changing the seal he noticed a crack in the pickup pipe so changed that too

hopefully some happy motoring now

Comment

Working...
                    X