Insignia 130 remapping burnt out my clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insignia 130 remapping burnt out my clutch

I got my Insignia remapped today and all was fine for an hour until I got to a dual carriageway and tried to test the new power I'd just been given.

Straight away the clutch completely slipped and the revs went up to over 5k and then the clutch would catch and the revs drop down to 3k or 4k and pull the car again. This happened every time I tried to punch it in the power band of 3rd gear and over.

After a few times of this I got the smell of a burnt clutch and smoke coming from the engine bay when I pulled over and opened the bonnet. I let it cool down and have only driven it around the city normally and I think its OK.

I'm guessing my clutch was already on the way out and the extra power I added today has exposed the issue even further.

If/when I need to replace the clutch which model should I go for? Does the 160bhp and 130bhp models use the same clutch?

Is there a better unit I can use to handle 180bhp on my car?

TIA

Welcome

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Thats going to be an expensive re-map, you not saying year, model, engine ect. best thing is to ease off the power pedal until you can afford to spend a grand or so.

Comment

Originally posted by ilunn View Post
        Thats going to be an expensive re-map, you not saying year, model, engine ect. best thing is to ease off the power pedal until you can afford to spend a grand or so.
        Sorry.

62 plate. 2l CDTi EcoFlex. Remapped from 130bhp to 180bhp.

I'm hoping it's the clutch, or maybe even something easier and cheaper to address. Any thoughts on what it is?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Mr-matt13 View Post
          Sorry.

I'm hoping it's the clutch, or maybe even something easier and cheaper to address. Any thoughts on what it is?

Cheers
          You want to be hoping it's not the clutch, if it is and it's worn the flywheel your looking at min £1000

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
          Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Sorry.

Cheers
            How many miles is your car on? Did the car go on the dyno for the remap?
            The Reaper. Carbon Flash 2015 insignia Sri. Lowered, hybrid turbo 251.3bhp 554nm. Twin exhaust.

Comment

I think youre right,the clutch was already on its last legs. the extra torque and power will add to the slippage
              ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

44k miles. Didn't go on the dyno. Just remap and test drive after.

Comment

If I need to replace the clutch, which one should I go for to handle the extra power?

Comment

44k miles. Didn't go on the dyno. Just remap and test drive after.
                    As @exclusiv said the remap probably just pushed it over the edge. Clutches are
                    Look of the draw on these cars !
                    The Reaper. Carbon Flash 2015 insignia Sri. Lowered, hybrid turbo 251.3bhp 554nm. Twin exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicksri View Post
                      As @exclusiv said the remap probably just pushed it over the edge. Clutches are
                      Look of the draw on these cars !
                      So do I change the mapping to less torque, or just look at replacing the clutch?

Comment

If I need to replace the clutch, which one should I go for to handle the extra power?
                        New clutch should be ok standard. loads of people run remaps on your variant of engine with no issues. Performance clutches or not as pleasant to drive with day to day

Comment

Welcome
                          2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                          Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Originally posted by Nicksri View Post
                            New clutch should be ok standard. loads of people run remaps on your variant of engine with no issues. Performance clutches or not as pleasant to drive with day to day
                            Is the clutch the same on the 160bhp as the 130bhp?

Comment

Is the clutch the same on the 160bhp as the 130bhp?
                              Yes it is, and should easily withstand that sort of power. Mines 200bhp and there are guys on here mapped to 210+ with stock clutches. Mines on its first clutch and going toward 125k miles now with no issue, do you tend to get a jolt when you change gear when driving normally?
                              2011 2.0 cdti ecoflex excnav
                              honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Comment

Working...
                              X