Water in boot, 4 door saloon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in boot, 4 door saloon

Hi, I hope IÂ’m posting in the right place.

I just bought a 2010 SRI 4 door saloon and am noticing some water in the boot.

I pulled out the interior panels and think IÂ’ve solved one leak, the O/S light cluster had been refitted and pushed the rubber grommet in leaving a hole directly into the boot, I refitted it and sealed around this and I think thatÂ’s sorted that side but I need it to fully dry out before I can be sure.

IÂ’m finding similar water ingress on the N/S in the same place but I think itÂ’s coming from somewhere different, the interior carpet trim from the boot lid was very damp when I took it off and it was worst at the N/S corner there it meets the body. IÂ’m going to seal up behind the light just in case but IÂ’m also thinking itÂ’s a poor seal around the boot. IÂ’ve looked at the cabin air vents and I donÂ’t think itÂ’s coming from those...

I called VX to enquire about a new boot seal and they quoted £160 and it would need to be ordered from Germany. I don’t really want to pay that much for one but I can’t find anywhere else to get one.

All of the leaky boot posts IÂ’ve read relate to the Hatchback and donÂ’t really apply to the saloon, so has anyone else had any experience of these issues with the saloon?

My only other issue is that itÂ’s had aftermarket reversing sensors fitted and if I enable the welcome lights, which on this model includes the reverse light, the sensors activate... IÂ’ve disabled the lights for now and IÂ’ve emailed the guys at Connects2 to see if their Can-03 interface would solve this issue by feeding the power instead of the light wiring.

Other than these two issues itÂ’s a great car. Got a good spec, DVD800Navi, Bluetooth, good mileage, everything mechanically sound...

If anyone has any advice IÂ’d love to hear it...

Welcome, Benji
    2018 1.5T SRi Nav
    Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
      Welcome, Benji
      Thanks Pete

Comment

Pretty sure the hatchback is the same as the saloon, does your boot go through to the back seats?
        2011 2.0 cdti ecoflex excnav
        honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Comment

Originally posted by Jakxta View Post
          Pretty sure the hatchback is the same as the saloon, does your boot go through to the back seats?
          It does in that you can Put the seats down, but there is no rear wiper or wash jet, so that’s out.

The window obviously doesn’t move and there are no panel gaps above the base of the rear window where the boot finishes. So there is no where higher for water to get in.

It’s also slightly longer than the hatchback model so the bumper fittings might be in a different place.

I haven’t noticed any moisture further into the car than the wheel well, the rear corners in line with the front of the rear lights, and the moisture inside the boot lid.

I’ve ordered an inspection camera so I can have a good look around though.

On another note I’ve just had it in to Kwik-fit for a wheel alignment check and they think the n/s rear wheel bearing is on the way out... yay more money to spend.

Comment

UPDATE

The inspection camera arrived today and I poked around everywhere with it, there’s a lot of moisture above the headliner... and I mean a lot, so I looked around everywhere else, lifted the carpets which seemed dry but under them the underlay on driver side front and rear was soaking wet and the footwells had puddles in them.

I’ve tried my best to absorb as much water as I can and put a fan heater in there to dry up as much of what’s left but it got too late so it’s going back in tomorrow.

Only the driver side is wet at all, passenger side is bone dry.

When I bought it last week the guy said it had been thoroughly shampooed. Could it be that or is water getting in?

What’s a common place for footwell ingress?

I’m certain that the headliner is down to this footwell water and the remaining damp left in the boot is the roof water running down the back.

Il be drying it out more tomorrow but I’d like to hear any ideas on where else it might be from if it’s not just the over zealous carpet cleaning

Comment

Originally posted by Benji83 View Post
              UPDATE

The inspection camera arrived today and I poked around everywhere with it, there’s a lot of moisture above the headliner... and I mean a lot, so I looked around everywhere else, lifted the carpets which seemed dry but under them the underlay on driver side front and rear was soaking wet and the footwells had puddles in them.

I’ve tried my best to absorb as much water as I can and put a fan heater in there to dry up as much of what’s left but it got too late so it’s going back in tomorrow.

Only the driver side is wet at all, passenger side is bone dry.

When I bought it last week the guy said it had been thoroughly shampooed. Could it be that or is water getting in?

What’s a common place for footwell ingress?

I’m certain that the headliner is down to this footwell water and the remaining damp left in the boot is the roof water running down the back.

Il be drying it out more tomorrow but I’d like to hear any ideas on where else it might be from if it’s not just the over zealous carpet cleaning
              Carpets being soaked by vigorous cleaning is usually an excuse used by sellers.......unless the inside of the car was filthy.

Id keep looking for a leak if i were you.

Comment

Well I’ve stripped everything out, dried everything and put it all back together... no sign of where water could be getting in though...

Comment

Working...
                X