Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is automatic traffic sign recognition black magic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is automatic traffic sign recognition black magic?

Ok, I understand that a camera picks up speed limit signs as you drive past them, but how do you explain this:
    Driving on country lanes around here, I pass a 'national speed limit' sign
    Click image for larger version

Name:	national-speed-limit-sign.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	249474
    And for a few seconds, the dash displays that symbol. Then, after a while, the car obviously thinks to itself "hang on, this is a single carriageway", and the display changes to
    Click image for larger version

Name:	60mph-speed-roundel-product-0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	249475

HOW DOES IT KNOW?
    Spooky!
    2018 1.5T SRi Nav
    Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
    Ok, I understand that a camera picks up speed limit signs as you drive past them, but how do you explain this:
    Driving on country lanes around here, I pass a 'national speed limit' sign
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3214[/ATTACH]
    And for a few seconds, the dash displays that symbol. Then, after a while, the car obviously thinks to itself "hang on, this is a single carriageway", and the display changes to
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3215[/ATTACH]

HOW DOES IT KNOW?
    Spooky!
    This isn't new technology.

Anyone out in the car with their missus......will automatically know if they're speeding, too close to anything, going to slow, when to overtake etc...

Comment

It's a brilliant bit of kit and I rely on it quite a bit, but not fool proof. I know one village in Cornwall where as you pass through it in either direction the limit displayed changes from 30 to 40 when you are about half way through. No signs, nothing. You are quite clearly still in a 30 so why it changes I have no idea. It relies on nav as a back up to the camera so maybe something there is wrong! Makes me wonder though how fool proof autonomous cars like Teslas will cope when they are unleashed.

Comment

does it also not rely on global positioning for speed limits too,,my daughter is a relatively new driver,and for insurance purposes she has a black box fitted,which monitors her speeds,,probs works along same lines
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Working...
        X