Vectra C 1.8 battery going flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vectra C 1.8 battery going flat

Hi looking for some advice\help my son's 1.8 Vectra C is draining the battery. The battery is good it is only 6 months old.

I've put a multimeter on the battery and with the engine off and the car locked with the central locking it is drawing 3.6 amps.

I pulled the radio and disconnected the bulb in the glove box I've pulled all the fuses and relays (1 at a time) also disconnected the ecu and the alternator and it is still drawing 3.6 amps.

Any ideas on what couldbe the problem would be appreciated.

Originally posted by markf497 View Post
    Hi looking for some advice\help my son's 1.8 Vectra C is draining the battery. The battery is good it is only 6 months old.

I've put a multimeter on the battery and with the engine off and the car locked with the central locking it is drawing 3.6 amps.

I pulled the radio and disconnected the bulb in the glove box I've pulled all the fuses and relays (1 at a time) also disconnected the ecu and the alternator and it is still drawing 3.6 amps.

Any ideas on what couldbe the problem would be appreciated.
    Alternator could be faulty try taking the live off your alternator and draw test again.
    Failing that try the starter next and retest as that's alot of draw.

Comment

I've done the live on the alternator and its still drawing 3.6amps.
      I'll try the starter motor tomorrow.

Comment

I've done the live on the alternator and its still drawing 3.6amps.
        I'll try the starter motor tomorrow.
        Did you try any of the relays under bonnet

Comment

yes i've pulled all the relays and fuses under bonnet at passenger side door and in the boot.

Comment

Has he fitted any aftermarket lighting?

Comment

Solenoid in starter could be jammed causing the draw.

Comment

No aftermarket lights I'm going to check the starter motor tomorrow afternoon I'll post the outcome.

Cheers.

Comment

Checked the starter motor today and went to disconnect wiring and the big cable 13mm nut was loose I could undo it with my hand, I took the cable and the small cable off and checked the battery was only drawing about 0.6 amp.
                  I reconnected both cables on the starter motor and checked again and it was drawing about 1amp so a lot less than the 3.6 amps.
                  Hopefully this was the problem should find out in the next couple of days.

Comment

Nice one,bet that was getting a bit warm,glad you sorted it.
                    Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                    Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Checked the starter motor today and went to disconnect wiring and the big cable 13mm nut was loose I could undo it with my hand, I took the cable and the small cable off and checked the battery was only drawing about 0.6 amp.
                      I reconnected both cables on the starter motor and checked again and it was drawing about 1amp so a lot less than the 3.6 amps.
                      Hopefully this was the problem should find out in the next couple of days.
                      Glad to hear it.

Comment

Have you done a draw test for over 30-40seconds to check if it drops from 0.6 as I'd be guessing but that's still quite high?

Comment

Working...
                        X