Only in NI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only in NI!

Arrived for MOT yesterday in the Siggy only to be told to go away again. Haven't heard a word since.

Current MOT ceases at midnight tonight and the insurance company won't give any leeway on the policy - even though its most definitely not my issue. No car now until they eventually sort these ramps, not looking like any time soon either... absolute shambles!

For those not aware of the kind of nonsensical things we put up with in Northern Ireland... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51235588

That's plain crazy - surely the DVLA could issue some sort of waiver that would satisfy the insurance companies?
    2018 1.5T SRi Nav
    Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
      That's plain crazy - surely the DVLA could issue some sort of waiver that would satisfy the insurance companies?
      I'm guessing this would be far too sensible an idea for the powers that be, to entertain.

I'm kind of also of the opinion that insurance companies could use a bit of common sense but I suppose they'll find and use any reason they can to void a claim.

Comment

I have never understood why people leave to have an mot on the day it runs out. I always do mine a month before just so it gives me a chance to sort stuff out

Comment

Originally posted by Plym Ian View Post
          I have never understood why people leave to have an mot on the day it runs out. I always do mine a month before just so it gives me a chance to sort stuff out
          I would always book mine once the letter is received also.

If you're referring to me on this occasion, which I assume you are, there were a serious of issues which resulted in the mot being finally arranged for 2 days before expiry.

A) the mot letter went to previous keeper (I assume) as I'd only recently bought it.

B) once I'd realised the expiry date I booked but couldn't get a date until after I was back from holiday.

C) three days before mot, I had tpms issues after changing wheels so had to rectify and change the date for two days before it expired.

Not sure why I had to justify myself there but hey ho.

Comment

Common sense prevails it would seem.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
              https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/b...-says-17629370

Common sense prevails it would seem.
              Hard to imagine how they could do any other, they couldn't let this drag on.

Really, it's putting you in the same situation as those living on the Scottish islands where they have no access to a MOT garage - and they get permanent MOT exemption, so long as the vehicle never leaves the island. Learners don't have to have a supervisor either!

Comment

Originally posted by sparky Paul View Post
                Hard to imagine how they could do any other, they couldn't let this drag on.

Really, it's putting you in the same situation as those living on the Scottish islands where they have no access to a MOT garage - and they get permanent MOT exemption, so long as the vehicle never leaves the island. Learners don't have to have a supervisor either!
                I wasn't aware of this at all. Interesting.

Comment

I would always book mine once the letter is received also.

If you're referring to me on this occasion, which I assume you are, there were a serious of issues which resulted in the mot being finally arranged for 2 days before expiry.

A) the mot letter went to previous keeper (I assume) as I'd only recently bought it.

B) once I'd realised the expiry date I booked but couldn't get a date until after I was back from holiday.

C) three days before mot, I had tpms issues after changing wheels so had to rectify and change the date for two days before it expired.

Not sure why I had to justify myself there but hey ho.
                  I guess you didn’t check when the mot ran out when you brought it then?

Comment

England don't get MOT reminder letters - as Plym Ian said, always get it done early. It may fail on a part which cannot be delivered fast enough to allow a pass. England we have to know ourselves as this is the only thing we don't get a written reminder for. To be fair, it is your car and you are the responsible driver, so your responsibility to ensure it is done in time. Must be rather inconvenient as well, as trying to rush around, sort it, hope it passes first time etc - is there any reason you could not take it somewhere else to MOT if the first place told you to go away?

edit: just read the news re taking it elsewhere, seems this was not an option

Comment

Like I said before, I always do get it done early, obviously things this time meant that it was all a rush.

I've never failed an MOT as I get a full service done by my mechanic before the MOT so never an issue. Worse case scenario, if it fails and expires you can still drive it to get it fixed and to the retest, legally.

In this instance though, the DVLA have given a four month extension due to their cock-up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	244445

Comment

Like I said before, I always do get it done early, obviously things this time meant that it was all a rush.

I've never failed an MOT as I get a full service done by my mechanic before the MOT so never an issue. Worse case scenario, if it fails and expires you can still drive it to get it fixed and to the retest, legally.

In this instance though, the DVLA have given a four month extension due to their cock-up!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3489[/ATTACH]
                        Nice one

Comment

Working...
                        X