Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature sensor fault

Hi

I have a 2014 Insignia Elite Tourer with a 2.0DTH engine. The outside temp has started reading -40 degrees. I bought a new sensor and it has not made any difference. I have checked the voltage on both cables and not getting any voltage to the sensor. I have checked all the fuses I can find and all seem OK.

Can anybody advise if there is a fuse which one and should the supply to the sensor be 12v?

I could put up with it but it has stopped the automatic tailgate from working. I have quite a good fault reader that reads the Vx modules in the car. It is showing the tailgate failing to operate because the outside temperature is out of permitted range. So I need to get this fixed. I have looked through other posts and they tend to just say change the sensor.

I was wondering if I could take a separate fused 12v supply to the sensor input, do you think this would work or do I risk damaging the ECU?

Thanks for any help.

Andy

Originally posted by Andyk View Post
    Hi

I have a 2014 Insignia Elite Tourer with a 2.0DTH engine. The outside temp has started reading -40 degrees. I bought a new sensor and it has not made any difference. I have checked the voltage on both cables and not getting any voltage to the sensor. I have checked all the fuses I can find and all seem OK.

Can anybody advise if there is a fuse which one and should the supply to the sensor be 12v?

I could put up with it but it has stopped the automatic tailgate from working. I have quite a good fault reader that reads the Vx modules in the car. It is showing the tailgate failing to operate because the outside temperature is out of permitted range. So I need to get this fixed. I have looked through other posts and they tend to just say change the sensor.

I was wondering if I could take a separate fused 12v supply to the sensor input, do you think this would work or do I risk damaging the ECU?

Thanks for any help.

Andy
    Also does anybody have a wiring diag showing the outside temperature sensor. I have a haynes manual but it is not shown anywhere in their wiring diagrams.

Thanks
    Andy

Comment

Also does anybody have a wiring diag showing the outside temperature sensor. I have a haynes manual but it is not shown anywhere in their wiring diagrams.

Thanks
      Andy
      I have found a wiring diagram if anybody can advise please? It shows the sensor connected to a sensor signal and the other a low reference signal. anybody advise what I should get testing these with a multimeter?

Click image for larger version

Name:	insignia wiring 1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	244436

Thanks
      Andy

Comment

Check the simple things first.

1. Are you in Oymyakon?

If so the sensor is working fine

2. Disconnect the battery for a good half hour, reconnect, follow instructions on dash, then see if it works.

Comment

Hello Andy
          Have you got fault codes you can put up ?
          The 2 faults are not related as far as I can seee .
          The auto tail gate has a module I think behind the trim panels on the O/S in the boot area , check for signs of water ingress ,if so remove dry out in an airing cupboard, and treat with electrical contact cleaner.on the pins .
          There's no fuse for the outside temperature sensor . That goes through the BCM .
          You should have a reference wire ( voltage in )
          And signal wire ( to display)
          So reference will show voltage into sensor
          And signal will only show voltage out if you have voltage in .
          So first port of call is module in boot , ( do as above)
          Then if you want exterior temp sensor.

.K.M.P.C.U
          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

If the electrical connections are not clean false readings will be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
              Hello Andy
              Have you got fault codes you can put up ?
              The 2 faults are not related as far as I can seee .
              The auto tail gate has a module I think behind the trim panels on the O/S in the boot area , check for signs of water ingress ,if so remove dry out in an airing cupboard, and treat with electrical contact cleaner.on the pins .
              There's no fuse for the outside temperature sensor . That goes through the BCM .
              You should have a reference wire ( voltage in )
              And signal wire ( to display)
              So reference will show voltage into sensor
              And signal will only show voltage out if you have voltage in .
              So first port of call is module in boot , ( do as above)
              Then if you want exterior temp sensor.
              Thanks for the info. I don't have any voltage to the sensor checking with a digital multimeter. I have even tested at the input to the next plug further up the loom (having followed it back from the sensor). Should the reference voltage from the BCM be 12v? I was thinking of trying a new fused 12v supply for the reference if it wont do any damage to the BCM to see if that worked.

Regards the tailgate, I'm pretty sure it is related. I have a reader that talks to the tailgate module and shows all the values read. It is reading 'tailgate opening and closing operation disabled due to temperature out of range'. That is the only fault showing, I have checked all other modules and no faults found.

Appreciate your time in helping and any other advise greatly received.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by BodgeItAndScarper View Post
                Check the simple things first.

1. Are you in Oymyakon?

If so the sensor is working fine

2. Disconnect the battery for a good half hour, reconnect, follow instructions on dash, then see if it works.
                The only frost round here is from the wife as I have been out messing about with the car all day. I have left the battery off tonight and will have a play in the morning again if it isn't raining.

Thanks

Comment

Hi

Thanks for any help.

Andy
                  A bit of an update. It seems when you change the sensor it takes a while to settle down. Yesterday it went form --0 to - 400 to 110 to 180 during different times of the day. Even though it was probably around 8 degrees real temp. I swapped back to the original sensor and it did similar and is still reading high. I guess I will just have to live with it being wrong as it is reading higher than it should with two different sensors. (Unless anybody knows if there is any way you can re-calibrate the temp reading?)

At least the automatic tailgate started working once the temperature range came back to a sensible reading. May be worth noting for anybody with an auto tailgate that it will not work below a certain temperature.

Thanks for all the help to those who replied, much appreciated.

Andy

Comment

It has been a while since I played with the outside temp sensor, when I was having erratic (not Erotic) readings.

Short version of the story is I bought a new sensor from the bidding website and it still didn't work properly so I started looking at all sorts of things and ended up putting the original sensor back in, which generally reads 10 degrees high. As I have plenty time on my hands at the moment I decided to look for a cheap genuine GM sensor second hand and recently picked one up from a Vectra for £4.00 including postage. Things are back to normal and readings within a degree or so of our outside sensor for the central heating control, so looking good.

Lesson learned, cheap sensors are cheap for a reason as they are rubbish. Looks like I will stick with O.E.M. when it comes to sensors.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                    X