Boiler / Plumber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler / Plumber

Boiler getting ready to pack in, just changed diverter valve again, leaking from blow off valve and heat exchanger appears clogged up.
    Anybody had dealings with boxt?

Was going to buy boiler myself then get it fitted, but getting quoted 450 - 550 labour and have to buy magnetic filter, flue, cleanser stuff etc etc.

Which is best way to go to get half decent job without paying a fortune.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

we bought a like for like boiler a couple of years ago,exact same make. wife must have rang 20 gas fitters,and none of them would fit it, (cos they weren't putting their bit on top of boiler price,the twats ) finally got one to do it for 300 quid,,good money for taking old one off,then new one on,just over an hour of his time. these so called tradesmen not happy with making a few quid,they want to take your pants down and give you a right good shagging.... shame I didn't know Kel aka the gas man at the time
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

DIY, get a CORGI to check it for you for fifty quid.

Comment

Originally posted by BodgeItAndScarper View Post
        DIY, get a CORGI to check it for you for fifty quid.
        Didn't think that was allowed. I'm more than capable but thought rules stated had to be gas safe installer

Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Afaik, if it's your own house, you don't even need the CORGI, by law - but there's what's legal, and then there's what's sensible. Definitely get it checked!

Btw, they're not called corgis anymore, but I've forgotten the new term. Gash-eating engineers maybe?

Comment

What boiler do you currently have Matt, and yes you would need a gas safe registered engineer to check the boiler

Comment

Being a heating engineer, boxt use to be owned by our old boss at help link he got paid off and told to do one , due to a tax fiddle , so he started up Boxt in the offices next to help link , then it got brought by Worcester Bosch .
              Thease online quotes are ok but don't take into account the possibility of a gas pipe upgrade 15 mm to 22mm ( all Worcester boilers run on a 22mm supply connection into the boiler , and depending on the pressure drop between gas meter and gas boiler when at max rate and all other gas appliances running ( dynamic ) there should be no more than 2.5 millibar drop with Worcester boilers .
              Also condense termination , flue termination .cold water inlet pressure .
              But they take it as a like for like straight swapp .
              As far as doing it yourself ( DIY)
              Most plumbers merchants will not sell a gas appliance if you are not gas safe registered .
              The likes of screwfix or on line retailers probably will
              But fitting it , even just hanging the boiler is deemed as gas work and as such you must be gas safe registered .
              Also if some one was to fit it ( i.e. You ) and then you phoned up a gas safe registered person to come and commission it by law we are not allowed to do that as we don't know wether you fitted the appliance in accordance with manufacturers instructions and the regulations in force at time of fitting , and we can get into a lot of truble for carrying it out .also if you decide to not have it checked you are putting your self and others at risk of possible death ! Harsh but the truth .
              And for those who think it's easy money , well it's not , a lot of training and years of experience make a engineer, also each year we have to renew our gas safe registration, every 5 years you have to re-take our ACS , it all costs money and time off the tools .
              All of the above is what makes us different, because we do it the proper way , and at the end of the day it's your safety and life we look after .
              Last edited by lizzard-t; 25-01-2020, 06:55 PM.

.K.M.P.C.U
              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Sorry Matt I went on a bit of a 1 man crusade back there ,
                But yes I have had dealings with Boxt , and know exactly how they work , you send photos and info and they quote from all the info you give them , if you withhold info then that's there get out clause .
                You could try homeserve ( aka help-link ) who I've been conglomerated into )
                But for price Boxt probably won't be beaten .
                Don't go for cheap ( i.e. Vokera)
                Ideal , Baxi , potterton are mid range I fit a lot of ideal logics and are good .
                Intergas is a boiler we are starting to fit , its strange from our perspective because it's one boiler dose it all ( conventional, combi , system ) good reviews and 12 year warranty.
                Worcester in my mind are top notch and if it comes with there system filter then a 10 year warranty as standard .
                Vaillant, well I've fallen out of love with them but are a good boiler .

.K.M.P.C.U
                YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

"for those who think it's easy money , well it's not"

I didn't mean to say that! Sorry if I suggested as much. Considering what handyman rates are, gas fitting is a bargain, especially considering all the knowledge gas fitters have

Fwiw, I've never been asked any questions when buying boilers etc, by any kind of shop.

And I probably wasn't clear enough that there's a lot of research first, if you're DIYing. But if I can do it, anyone can...

Comment

Originally posted by the gas man View Post
                    What boiler do you currently have Matt, and yes you would need a gas safe registered engineer to check the boiler
                    A ravenheat csi 85 bt. About 12 years old.

Comment

TBH Matt as its a Ravenheat, i usually work on the at model of these boilers, if it needs a divertor valve and also the blow off is passing, this could be just the expansion vessel needs recharging or at worst need replacing

Ravenheats were shite even brand new mate, due to costs , it being a Ravenheat, I would not put one penny into it, time to replace

think Lizzard-T will be along to confirm

Comment

Originally posted by the gas man View Post
                        TBH Matt as its a Ravenheat, i usually work on the at model of these boilers, if it needs a divertor valve and also the blow off is passing, this could be just the expansion vessel needs recharging or at worst need replacing

Ravenheats were shite even brand new mate, due to costs , it being a Ravenheat, I would not put one penny into it, time to replace

think Lizzard-T will be along to confirm
                        Yeah this is the third diverter in 12 years. I agree they are crap. To get at expansion vessel boiler has to come off wall, rear access.

So fitted I have quotes between 1500 and 2000 all in. Just need to decide on make and installer.

Comment

I didn't mean to say that! Sorry if I suggested as much. Considering what handyman rates are, gas fitting is a bargain, especially considering all the knowledge gas fitters have

Fwiw, I've never been asked any questions when buying boilers etc, by any kind of shop.

And I probably wasn't clear enough that there's a lot of research first, if you're DIYing. But if I can do it, anyone can...
                          Mr Bodgeitandscarper .
                          Non of the above was aimed at you and I do apologise if it upset you
                          If you look at post number 2 then you will see what I mean about easy money .
                          The rest was just to outline the legal standing from our point of view ,
                          And not ment to belittle your comments.
                          I was just on a 1 man crusade, and I apologise if it seemed as if it was aimed at you personally.
                          Sorry
                          Paul .

.K.M.P.C.U
                          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

There is no law stating that you can not buy a boiler unless your Gas safe registered, Although in my opinion there should be, The main merchant i use is Wolsley formerly the plumb centre, they will sell a boiler to anyone

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                              Yeah this is the third diverter in 12 years. I agree they are crap. To get at expansion vessel boiler has to come off wall, rear access.

So fitted I have quotes between 1500 and 2000 all in. Just need to decide on make and installer.
                              The expansion vessel can be recharged without the boiler coming off the wall, but if the vessel needs changing, the horizontal flue would need to be removed, but only if the boiler is low enough to slide out the back

if you have a vertical flue, the same still applies

Comment

Working...
                              X