X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average fuel consumption

Hello got a petrol A20NHT insignia 2009
    I get 26.7 mpg as average is this good?
    One more question what is the default instantaneous fuel consumption indicator as mine sits on 0.3 gal/h

I'd say that's probable about right for town driving but not on motorway. Is it the 2WD or 4X4?

Instananeous normally sits between 0.2 and 0.3 dependant on engine load e.g. air conditioing on and fan speed increased
    Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Yes, mpg and gal/hr idling consumption sounds about right for the average user who does a lot of rush hour stop-start, a few short runs to the shops and occasional longer journeys.

The mpg is affected by how much time it spends making short journeys or in stop-start traffic.

Also mpg is affected by driving style - late/hard braking and harsh/full accelerating cause mpg to plummet (and will wear down tyres and brakes much faster).

This time of year with cold damp weather and need for wipers, demisters, lights etc the mpg can be as much as 20% worse than on a mild dry day.

Comment

I’d say that it should be down to 19mpg cause your not driving it hard enough

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Plym Ian View Post
            We heard you the 1st time Ian
            Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
              We heard you the 1st time Ian
              Bloody iphone

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post

Also mpg is affected by driving style - late/hard braking and harsh/full accelerating cause mpg to plummet (and will wear down tyres and brakes much faster).
                Braking, of course, but afaik, petrol engines are most efficient (for any given rpm) with the throttle wide open. So the most efficient technique is to accelerate as hard as possible, staying in the power band. It uses more fuel for less time, and it's more efficient, so less fuel in total.

Then again, that could be complete bollocks someone came up with as an excuse to put your foot down

Comment

Slipstreaming works best, but you have to get very close. Get to within 1 foot of the back of an HGV then stick it on cruise. I find an indicated 60mph on my speedo best as the truck will have a more accurate speedo and will be flat out but limited to 56mph. Just use the tap up or down feature to stay within a foot.

Comment

Latest initiative being looked at for cutting CO2 emissions in UK by transport secretary.

Click image for larger version

Name:	downloadfile.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	244472

Comment

Originally posted by BodgeItAndScarper View Post
                      Braking, of course, but afaik, petrol engines are most efficient (for any given rpm) with the throttle wide open. So the most efficient technique is to accelerate as hard as possible, staying in the power band. It uses more fuel for less time, and it's more efficient, so less fuel in total.

Then again, that could be complete bollocks someone came up with as an excuse to put your foot down
                      At full throttle, engines tend to run rich to reduce the chance of knock or pre-ignition. Turbocharged engines often run very rich.

The best way to get great mpg is to shift up before the turbo spools. Best economy comes from using the lowest rpms and the highest gears possible, without lugging the engine.
                      Unfortunately, most modern engines are now so small that they struggle to accelerate the car without boost from the turbo.

Also keeping speed down makes a big difference. Most cars give their best mpg somewhere between 25-40mph although that's not practical unless you want to be the 35mph dawdler holding up a long queue.

Comment

keeping speed down makes a big difference. Most cars give their best mpg somewhere between 25-40mph although that's not practical unless you want to be the 35mph dawdler holding up a long queue

Heynthats Markos club [emoji1787]

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                        Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Yeah I'd say go for the slipstreaming option ����
                          2011 2.0 cdti ecoflex excnav
                          honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
                            I'd say that's probable about right for town driving but not on motorway. Is it the 2WD or 4X4?

Instananeous normally sits between 0.2 and 0.3 dependant on engine load e.g. air conditioing on and fan speed increased
                            2wd yes
                            And this is for combined driving, town and motorway

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
                              Slipstreaming works best, but you have to get very close. Get to within 1 foot of the back of an HGV then stick it on cruise. I find an indicated 60mph on my speedo best as the truck will have a more accurate speedo and will be flat out but limited to 56mph. Just use the tap up or down feature to stay within a foot.
                              At 56mph the slipstream isn't long enough to stay back a safe distance. Tuck in behind a big SUV doing 90, though, and you can be a safe distance back and still see a noticeable difference. Plus they're your rabbit.

Comment

Working...
                              X