X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove centre box or not?

Afternoon,

currently had a new custom back box put on my insignia 1.8 SRI,

its got more of a tone to it but thinking about removing the centre box to make it louder,

has anyone done this to theirs? would it be too loud or just abit louder,

i dont want to get it removed and think s**t thats too loud!

It will fail its MOT if you remove a silencer completely. If you remove the internals and just leave the box, then as long as it's not too loud it should pass.

Assuming it is just a silencer and not a cat or something, anyway. Remove a cat, insta-fail at MOT time, and/or a big fine if caught on the road. It's also illegal to do a modification like that.

"Under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulations 61(7) and 61A(3)) and the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 42) it is an offence to use on a road a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.

"The potential penalties are £1,000 for a car and £2,500 for a van, lorry or bus.

"Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 75) it is an offence to alter a vehicle in such a way that the use of the vehicle on a road would be unlawful. A person altering the vehicle (if they knew or believed that the vehicle would be used on the road) could be found guilty of an offence under the Act.

"Potential penalties are unlimited fines."

Comment

Have a look at your centre box I think its a straight through pipe anyway. They are just perforated with lots of small holes surrounded by sound absorbing material. Probably wouldn't make a lot of difference to the noise out the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamiea93 View Post
        Afternoon,

its got more of a tone to it but thinking about removing the centre box to make it louder,

Is the car tuned?
        2011 2.0 cdti ecoflex excnav
        honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Comment

No standard, exhaust was first thing done

Comment

Afternoon,

Hi....how's about heading to here.......

And tell us all about yourself.

Comment

No standard, exhaust was first thing done
              Are you hoping for performance or noise?
              honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Comment

Originally posted by Jakxta View Post
                Are you hoping for performance or noise?
                Noise really, seen a few people mention about new K&N panel filter,

Comment

Noise really, seen a few people mention about new K&N panel filter,
                  Better noise will come with bigger performance upgrades

Comment

I remember a while back someone on forum altered there exhaust and it invalidated there insurance, it was not DPF removal but they had a bump and insurance assessor picked it up and insurance would not pay for clients car as well as not paying for other party's car.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustyone View Post
                      I remember a while back someone on forum altered there exhaust and it invalidated there insurance, it was not DPF removal but they had a bump and insurance assessor picked it up and insurance would not pay for clients car as well as not paying for other party's car.
                      Yep that's true.
                      When I put the stainless onto my Vectra I notified my insurance.
                      As it was an upgrade and not for performance, there was no charge but it was still declared.
                      Kept my insurance valid.....just incase.

Same with my Insignia.
                      Declared but no charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustyone View Post
                        I thought it literally went without saying that you have to declare any modifications to your insurance company.

Worst case scenario, you're uninsured and you've crippled someone so they need care for the rest of their life. You'll end up paying most of your earnings towards that, and you can't even escape it through bankruptcy.

It really isn't worth taking the risk, especially because insurers tend to be surprisingly tolerant of minor mods.

Comment

Depends how loud your current new back boxes are. If at 3000rpm its pretty loud then removing the resonator will make it much louder, but if its not that loud then removing it would give it more note.
                          The resonator helps a lot .

Comment

Removing silencer is not a mot fail as long as it doesn't exceed max dB for road vehicles.
                            My Clio had no cat no middle resonator 421 manifold and a non resonated Scorpion double exit back box.
                            In my opinion it was good if I was gunning it but take it on the motorway and it soon became very annoying more of a drone.
                            My advice would be to buy correct straight through which should be straight swap then if to annoying put old one back on.

Comment

Working...
                            X